Fuel Pump Replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Pump Replacement?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-18-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
Brendan

Fuel Pump Replacement?

I have an 88 Wrangler, and I think my fuel pump just died. I just rebuilt my carb, and it was running fine, until one day I started my car, and 10 seconds later I went to give it gas, and it died completely. It went back the next day, started it, and it ran fine for a day, then I came out of work and it wouldn't stay running.

After I drained the float bowl by cranking it, I used Ether spray, but that only got the engine to catch, it didn't get it to keep running. I have am pretty sure its the fuel pump. I am going to order a new one tomorrow, and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or tips? What else could be making my jeep suck? thanks for the advice in advance
-duvie

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2001, 07:43 PM   #2
B2hi

If it is the stock carb., check the needle and seat in the front of the carb where the the fuel line enters. That can get clogged. Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner. Happened to me when I had the stock carb.
Throttle body spacer
K+N air filter

Con-ferr shackles,R.E. 4.5 lift with 33x12.5 BFG Muds and 1in. body
B2hi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2001, 08:09 PM   #3
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

I have a stock carb, i had a fuel pump (stock) and i would drive places and it would die, i thought since it had high miles that it would be the eccentric inside the engine, (don't know the proper terminolgy) but when the engine would crank a lobe would hit it to pump gas but it wasn't that, what i ended up doing was buying an aftermarket fuel pump wiring it to a toggle and mounting it behind the gast tank, i have never been so impressed with my jeep since.
Thats my 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.