Fuel pump problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel pump problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
jskinner9999
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump problem

’92 Jeep wrangler 4 cylinder. I am in a no start condition. I am getting spark on the plugs. When I put my fuel pressure gauge on the fuel bar I am getting 0 psi. I pulled the tank and replaced the fuel pump and also replaced the fuel regulator, fuel filter. Put in 5 gallons of fresh gas. Jeep still won’t start. When I turn on key I can hear the fuel pump run for about a second then stops. Fuel pressure still 0.
What could cause this?
Stopped up fuel line?
Bad fuel pump?

I am think of pulling the tank and blowing out the fuel lines primary and return.

Would it be a good idea to pull the Fuel pump housing from tank, put it in a bucket of water to test to see if it works?

Am I missing anything?

If the fuel system is working properly should I get 30 psi when the ignition is turned on?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jskinner9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you aren't getting consistent power to the fuel pump. Are you getting fuel to the filter? Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Are you getting constant 12v to the fuel pump?
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Its supposed to only prime for a second till the engine runs. Whatever sensor tells the pump to come on is not reading right
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
jskinner9999
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I turn on the key the pump always runs for a second. Other than the fuel pressure regulator what other sensors are there to tell the pump when to come on? Could this be a relay problem? Is there any other sensors in the fuel system?
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Many options. First thing....put the guage on a working fuel system and make sure it works. We can get you going no problem but I just want to make sure since you replaced the pump. Second and the most common mistake. Did you flip the supply and return lines at the tank when you replaced the pump? Very very easy to do.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
jskinner9999
1992 YJ Wrangler 

First of all MANY THANKS for helping me isolate and resolve this issue!!

I put the guage on a ford f150 and it works. I swapped the shutdown relay with a know working relay of the same type/part number and it did not fix problem. When I pulled the fuel assembly from the tank I did not disconnect the fuel lines. When I turn on key I can hear the fuel pump run for about a second then stops. I do not think the pump is running when the engine is turning over. How does the shutdown relay know that the engine is running? Is there a way to bypass the shutdown relay and force the fuel pump to run?
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Many options. First thing....put the guage on a working fuel system and make sure it works. We can get you going no problem but I just want to make sure since you replaced the pump. Second and the most common mistake. Did you flip the supply and return lines at the tank when you replaced the pump? Very very easy to do.
This is a good idea ask me how I know. Also make sure no lines are pinched.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can jumper the fuel pump relay between pins 30 and 87 with a small jumper wire and force the fuel pump on.
relay.gif

Unread 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
jskinner9999
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I jumpered the fuel pump. the pump runs. I disconnected the return fuel line from fuel bar and fuel comes out when pump runs. The fuel gauge still shows 0 psi. I double checked the gauge by connecting to ford. It shows 30 psi on ford. so the gauge is good. Does this mean that the pump is bad. Should gauge be reading 30 psi when fuel pump is running?
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

First things first...you are getting fuel to the fuel rail, but aren't building any pressure? If you aren't getting fuel to the rail, are you at least getting fuel to the filter? You should be getting around 30-32psi at the valve on the fuel rail, IIRC.

Any chance your pick up tube was clogged, or not reinstalled correctly on the pump? I'd bought a Jeep a few years back that had been sitting, and the pick up tube had deteriorated to the point that it was completely clogged off. I doubt this is your issue, though. It sounds like it may be a fuel line issue, especially considering you have a new pump, and know that it comes on when the pins are jumped.

Here's something you can try. Disconnect the incoming fuel line (not the return line) at the fuel rail, and then turn the key over. If you aren't getting any fuel, try jumping the relay pins to force on the pump. If that gives you fuel, then you know its a relay issue (which you seem to have determined may not be the problem). If you aren't getting fuel to the rail either through cranking or jumping the pins, then its either a pump or line problem. If you can't get fuel at the rail, see if you can at least get fuel to the filter.

How long has it been since the Jeep was running?
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jason, he already tried jumping the relay so that the pump would remain on... Also, if he has fuel leaving his return line, then he must have fuel comming in correct? I wonder if the schrader valve on the fuel rail is stuck causing an inability to read the pressure? I know this wouldn't solve the no start, but it is odd that the pump is running yet he has fuel leaving the system via the return line.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, doesn't sound right. Push the valve and you should have fuel squirting out of it.It sounds like the lines are reversed at the tank like I suggested earlier. No fuel should come out of the line. It should come out of the rail.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Que - if he replaced the fuel regulator and it was bad from the box, would he still get PSI at the rail? If it's cycling fuel, but not building pressure, I'm wondering if the regulator isn't stuck "open" and not limiting the return.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Luuca, he said he had fuel coming out of the return line with the jumper in place and couldn't read rail pressure. The fuel comes out of the rail/regulator if it is flowing in the right direction if you disconnect the return hose.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Luuca, he said he had fuel coming out of the return line with the jumper in place and couldn't read rail pressure. The fuel comes out of the rail/regulator if it is flowing in the right direction if you disconnect the return hose.
Te read it. I thought he had fuel coming out of the fuel return nipple on the rail. If its as you describe than ya, lines are reversed.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.