Fuel Pump Not Pumping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Pump Not Pumping

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pump Not Pumping

After putting 5 gallons of gas in the tank and trying to crank the jeep for the first time in 8 months I have a fuel delivery problem. The tank was off and the fuel sender was inspected back in April. I cleaned the sender rheostat and replaced the short hose between the pump and the output tube. I did not replace the pump since it had a 2004 date code on it and was working fine at the time.

Today I hook the pump directly to a spare battery and can hear it running, but no gas comes out of the fuel line before the filter. Took the power off and applied compressed air to the fuel line. I could hear it bubbling inside the tank. Having forgotten to remove the gas cap, fuel rushed out of the line because the tank was pressurized. Guessing there is not pinched hose or obstruction I applied power and still no flow.

Any ideas?

Unread 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The impellor on the pump is hosed in some way. Appears to me that you need a new pump.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

2004 predates alcohol. Your rubber impeller is goo from sitting in old fuel.

New pump is the answer.
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was afraid of the impeller being fried, but was hoping for something easier. At least everything is clean and all the rubber is new. The tank should drop pretty easily.

Looks like a pump kit is $68 at NAPA.

Thanks guys.
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm an idiot. After replacing the pump, sock and filter it had the same symptoms. Lying there under the Jeep wondering what I had overlooked I realized the supply and return lines at the tank were reversed.

On the plus side I modified the rear frame rail so when dropping the tank it does not get hung up on the tank strap ends.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.