Fuel pump gets loud after driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel pump gets loud after driving

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
JSchnob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump gets loud after driving

I recently noticed my fuel pump seemed to be loud. So i changed the filter and it was normal again or so I though. This weekend I headed up to the mountans to scope out some new camping spots. On the way up I had the tunes on and didn't notice it start again. It sounds like the pump is constanly trying to prime itself. I headed for home as soon as I noticed, thinking the pump was dying but I made it. I came in, went on here to read up on those symptoms and found a few things to try. 1/2hr later headed out and the sound is gone. The Jeep ran the same while making the humming sound. The only thing I noticed was a bit more draw on the alternator when making the sound. I switched around the relays and they seemed to be working. If it's the pump then i'll change it but it's $220 for the pump here in Canada plus the time to have it installed. Doe anyone have any other idea's as to what would cause this. If it's broke then just stay broke so I know what to get fixed..?????

JSchnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is doing the same thing. I have a new pump on it's way. I just swapped in a 92 engine and trans and I used the 92 tank and pump. The Jeep sat for 2 yrs with little to no gas in the tank. It was quiet but after 100mi I too heard that loud buzz of the pump. Today I started it and it was quiet. I'm not chancing it. I ordered a rebuilt OEM pump from here...DirectAuto.com - 1992 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L VIN S Rebuilt Fuel Pump OEM # 4637193
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When my fuel pump went bad it emitted a loud whine from the tank. The Jeep still ran fine, but the noise was obviously coming from the fuel tank. It was replaced, and since then, all was quiet. If the whine is coming from the rear of the jeep when idle, it can only be the fuel pump telling you it is about to give up the ghost.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Mine whined more constantly I believe. After 197k miles, I can justify the longevity of the stock one (as far as I know). Also, when I replaced mine, the jeep seemed to run a bit better. More smoothly. That may just be the placebo effect though

Good luck my friend

H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Mine whined more constantly I believe. After 197k miles, I can justify the longevity of the stock one (as far as I know). Also, when I replaced mine, the jeep seemed to run a bit better. More smoothly. That may just be the placebo effect though

Good luck my friend

Ahh yes, the piece and quiet of a new fuel pump. The serenity it provides when you are 120 miles off of the beaten path.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.