Fuel pump electrical problem... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
philxphil
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump electrical problem...

Been searching through the forums and I have a few tests I'm going to run through this weekend but I was wondering if anyone else might know what is going on here. Jeep starts up fine and I can drive a random distance, anywhere from 1 to 15 miles, and then the jeep will stall. I pull over on the side of the road, try to start the jeep back up but it won't go. I hop out, unplug the fuel pump wiring harness and then plug it back in and then the jeep starts right back up. I can drive another few to 10 miles and then the same thing happens. Why would unplugging the wiring harness at the fuel pump and then plugging it right back in give me a temporary fix? Doesn't look like anything is corroded and the connection seems fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
philxphil
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No one has has any ideas?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Leafs
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philxphil
No one has has any ideas?
Crowbaring Fuel pump relay perhaps. Could be Vapor lock. Maybe, in the time it takes you to reconnect the pump connection the pressure in the tank equalizes. Have you put a DVM on it to see if you are actually losing voltage at the pump? Will need to be done without unplugging it of course.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
philxphil
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs View Post
Crowbaring Fuel pump relay perhaps. Could be Vapor lock. Maybe, in the time it takes you to reconnect the pump connection the pressure in the tank equalizes. Have you put a DVM on it to see if you are actually losing voltage at the pump? Will need to be done without unplugging it of course.
What do you mean by crowbaring the fuel pump relay? I swapped the relay with the horn relay and it seemed to work, but that fix was short lived. Would the vapor lock be an issue with the seal between the tank and the sending unit? I replaced that seal less than 6 months ago along with an entirely new sending unit/pump. As far as the DVM goes, I bought one but honestly have no experience using one and I'm lost as to where/how to start using it in figuring out my fuel pump problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.