fuel problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel problem

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

fuel problem

hi i have a 91 4.0 yj,with the following fuel problem, i replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter,fuel regulator,about 2 months ago, and now the gauge goes crazy all the way to the the full position, and then back to normal, and the jeep turns off,can any body help me with a solution? all help will be apreciated thanks.

salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i would check the connection at the pump. i know when i changed mine the ground terminal on the new pump was rivited and was loose. im glad i put in an access hole to make it easier to check for problems. u can see i drilled out the rivet and put a bolt on the ground lug
fuel-pump-010.jpg   fuel-pump-011.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That look great Big Squat.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, i cut the hole because i didnt want to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. it could be dangerous if there was a fuel leak when cutting the hole. the funny thing is i had to drop the tank anyway a while later because of a dented tank skid. that would be a better time to cut the hole
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

that looks great, but ialready changed fuel pump,filter,sending unit,regulator and drain the tank completele and clean it, it run good for a while, now i drove it today and, it stays on the hole time, but the gauge goes all the way to full and it stays there,and when i turn off the jeep it goes to empty like it should,could it be that when i fill the tank last time, i fill it too much, could it had damaged something inside the pump or sending unit? thanks for all help.
salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a bad connection on the sending unit connection at the top of the tank.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It goes to full when the wire at the sending unit opens and doesnt make a good contact. Check the wire. You can use a short piece of wire and ground the wire for the fuel level at the connector for the tank. If it goes to empty then your problem is the connector on top.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.