Fuel Pressure Regulator - Do we have one?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Pressure Regulator - Do we have one?!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
bawlnchayn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Do we have one?!

1990 YJ 4.2L I6 Carburetor

We seem to be having some fuel issues - I can't find the answer in our Hayne's manual... (going out to get the YJ Specific manual from Chilton's )

Do we have a fuel pressure regulator?
And, where is it, if we do?

Thanks!!

bawlnchayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

are you sure that your float isn't stuck? Would try to check that first....
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
bawlnchayn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
are you sure that your float isn't stuck? Would try to check that first....

Well, the fuel problem isn't an all the time thing. It's only when the tank gets to about 1/4 full - the truck will run fine, idle smooth, but when at a stop, it wants to die out (and will if we don't keep it revved up) and when the accelerator is pressed it dies. Then, it's able to be started right back up again. We also lost about 8mpg during this last full tank (which is about half of what we were getting, so we're losing a lot of gas). When the tank is full, it runs great - starts up great in the cold mornings, idles and accelerates fine.

There's no smoke, oil loss, ... We replaced the fuel filter about 5 months ago, but were thinking maybe we should replace the pump and filter, and regulator if we have one (the manual doesn't say).
Unread 12-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wasn't the 90s a TBI set up?
If so, yes you have a regulator.
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it is a manual pump that will be located on the pass side of the bock. If so it sounds like the pump is going out. It is a super simple easy fix then. New pump. When you replace the filter did you replace it with the correct filter?? If your's is like mine it has a return line off the filter so it a one inlit and a two outlit filter. If it's TBI I know nothing about them and I'm talking out my butt if I say anything :}
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
bawlnchayn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagsjeep View Post
If it is a manual pump that will be located on the pass side of the bock. If so it sounds like the pump is going out. It is a super simple easy fix then. New pump. When you replace the filter did you replace it with the correct filter?? If your's is like mine it has a return line off the filter so it a one inlit and a two outlit filter. If it's TBI I know nothing about them and I'm talking out my butt if I say anything :}
Yeah, you're right, it's not TBI. I'm no expert, but it has a carburetor and those two don't go hand in hand?

We did replace the fuel pump, the new fuel filter we put on a few months ago was still good so we didn't replace it. We put a new fuel line from the new pump and it's not kinked. (and you're right, it is on the pass side of the block). It ran fine for a day, now it's screwing up again! Now we have a HORRIBLE smell, it won't idle, chugs, white smoke, (oil and antifreeze look fine, but oil smells smokey), and is now sitting in the garage waiting for a bullet.

So, I don't think the pump was the problem. :
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My stock filter has the regulator/bypass built into it. 1 inlet on one side of the can and two outlets on the other. The one on the edge should be positioned on top to help remove air and it's connected to the tank return line.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

quote: "Well, the fuel problem isn't an all the time thing. It's only when the tank gets to about 1/4 full - ":quote

This kind of makes me wander if it's a problem with the pickup tube in the tank?
I've never experienced it myself, but I've heard of several people that had rust holes in the pickup tube. when the fuel would get below the holes in the tube, air would be drawn into the fuel line and cause issues.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine does the issues below a quarter also but mine only read "right" from a quarter down. at that point i know its almost out of gas so maybe your sending unit was reading wrong and you were actually almost out of gas? thats teh symptoms on mine and i know its almost out of gas at that point.

also, what carb do you have?
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your draw tube in your fuel tank.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
bawlnchayn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
mine does the issues below a quarter also but mine only read "right" from a quarter down. at that point i know its almost out of gas so maybe your sending unit was reading wrong and you were actually almost out of gas? thats teh symptoms on mine and i know its almost out of gas at that point.

also, what carb do you have?
I'm pretty sure, from what others have said according to pics I posted, that we have the stock carter bbd carb (not sure if I'm saying that right - wife posting haha).

Anyways, we replaced the pump and it ran fine, it seemed , for a day, then yesterday it pooped out. We took apart the carb and where the two streams of gas squirt into the carb, one of the brass looking jets is missing and puking gas into the carb - the other one is intact and squirts fine.

/sarcasm

We're looking at replacing the carb - we have to find the little brass looking jet piece tho. We're PRETTY sure that since both sides of the inside of the carb are the same that we should have 2 of those jet tubes intact. ?
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pieces missing from carb = VERY BAD
I would pull the intake manifold just because.
The brass piece may be on the ground somewhere or stuck in the heat exchanger on the manifold or even gotten all the way through and somewhere in you exhaust system...but it could also be just waiting to drive a hole in a piston or mess up a valve.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
bawlnchayn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Pieces missing from carb = VERY BAD
I would pull the intake manifold just because.
The brass piece may be on the ground somewhere or stuck in the heat exchanger on the manifold or even gotten all the way through and somewhere in you exhaust system...but it could also be just waiting to drive a hole in a piston or mess up a valve.
Yup, that's pretty much our train of thought, too. We were VERY surprised to see that last night - last thing we would have guessed!

Got the rental so the Jeep isn't going anywhere or doing anything until we find that piece. Hopefully, as we piece it apart, night by night, and all day Sat/Sun we'll find it. LOL It's so messed up it's almost funny.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.