Fuel lines burst today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel lines burst today

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel lines burst today

Well, went out to warm up the heep for my wife this morning and it started dumping fuel in the driveway. Awesome. 19 below zero was too much for old rubber lines I guess. Looks like the fuel supply and the fuel return both cracked. Am I safe to assume the cold just messed up the rubber lines or is there something else I should check while I am at it?

mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are just dealing with worn lines. If you arent having any other problems and its that cold r&r them and leave well enough alone. Da## thats cold!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by que89yj
you are just dealing with worn lines. If you arent having any other problems and its that cold r&r them and leave well enough alone. Da## thats cold!
this ^ x2
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd replace all the rubber fuel lines. If those two cracked, the others are probably not too far behind.

On a side note, ...dude... your wife is tough! Driving a YJ in -19 temps? D@mn.

Bundled well, I was comfortable on my way to work this morning (we're getting hit with snow as we speak, so the Jeep is pulling snow duty), but it was only down around 20. Somewhere around 10-15 is when I put on the insulated overalls... (Teach me your Jeep heating secrets)
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That cold he must have a campfire roaring in the rear seat!
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pull into a garage, fire up a heater (I keep meaning to get one) and replace the lines.

As for how to keep a Jeep warm, I am gathering that you guys have trouble staying warm in your Jeep? Regardless of the exterior temp, I can sweat in mine... Its hot a sh&^!! Thats with a hard top and full doors in the winter.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Heat in a Jeep? I would have to install a heater core first.

OP, bad time of year for this kind of work, but the rubber fuel lines all need to be replaced.
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The wife is a tough one The heat works fairly well but it's still chilly in there. Driving a YJ in the mountains on the highway in the snow and ice every day of the winter is what rattles her. No fun driving that thing around in the winter. On the bright side though, it'll surely get you out of the ditch it'll surely put you in.
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylogylo View Post
The wife is a tough one The heat works fairly well but it's still chilly in there. Driving a YJ in the mountains on the highway in the snow and ice every day of the winter is what rattles her. No fun driving that thing around in the winter. On the bright side though, it'll surely get you out of the ditch it'll surely put you in.
Well said. My DD is a Charger R/T. It is miserable on slick roads. I use the Jeep for fun top down driving in the summer, trails and crawling year round, and in bad weather (i.e. snow, ice, flooding).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
As for how to keep a Jeep warm, I am gathering that you guys have trouble staying warm in your Jeep? Regardless of the exterior temp, I can sweat in mine... Its hot a sh&^!! Thats with a hard top and full doors in the winter.
I've got to get my hard top painted and installed... During my rebuild I put in a new heater core and installed a blazer fan motor. It definitely helped, but it's still chilly. All my gaskets are in good shape or new. The soft top isn't cutting it.
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My DD is a Charger RT too! Jeep is the toy. I dont care what I do there isnt going to be enough heat for -19!
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Yj wasn't too bad yesterday morning it was 8* with a windchill of -7* I was fine driving it 20 miles on the highway in a t shirt and jeans. Ut friggen cooks when the heater is on
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
My DD is a Charger RT too! Jeep is the toy. I dont care what I do there isnt going to be enough heat for -19!
I agree. That's just too freaking cold to be driving mine. I remember driving from SW Missouri to Red Cloud Nebraska in the YJ back when it was my DD (we were pheasant hunting in North KS and Red Cloud was the closest town to get a room). It was about 10 degrees when I left home and -18 when I got there. I had a gas station coffee cup beside me that was half full of coffee frozen solid when I got to the motel (I'd been drinking it until it got cool).

The Charger gets nice and toasty ...which is good in snowy weather because I'd hate to freeze to death in the ditch! (Love that car though.) I'd love to have the engine from the Charger in my YJ, but a 302 will just have to do...
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Glad the heat works in mine! I'd hate to freeze the coffee lol So...questions about removing the tank. Never done it before but it looks fairly straight forward and I'm ok with a wrench as long as it aint a diff...don't ask.

To remove it I just need to undo the filler hose and vent up in the tire well area. Then undo the three hoses underneath, supply, return, and vent. Put the jack under it and undo the seven bolts which I just loosened up to see if I'd have a prob with them being stuck. Lower it a little, undo the fuel gauge sender, and then lower it all the way right? Do I need to worry about the wiring for the fuel pump or is it long enough? I have a service manual but it doesn't mention the pump wiring. Gonna go look for a writeup after this.
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
axxxgijoexxxa

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had mine down recently and I don't remember the wiring being a problem. There might even be a plug for it in the fender area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.