Fuel Line Leaking Up Front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Line Leaking Up Front

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Line Leaking Up Front

So my 92 YJ 4.0L is leaking fuel, which I need to fix asap. Most of the threads I've seen is where the fuel line has been leaking towards the rear of the Jeep. Mine is right where it bends up to the engine bay, it's like a rubber hose. Any suggestions where I could get a replacement and how to take this one off?

Here are some pictures I took from underneath the Jeep.

Top end of the hose line.

SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know where they are but have no idea how to remove from the steel line. It is the line that goes from steel to rubber to make the transition to the engine. Has to be a source other than the dealer but I have looked and not found one sorry. I got nothing. If I stumble on something I'll be back.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, kinda of annoying in that way. I'll try PepBoys and some others tomorrow. The best route to me would to replace it with a braided steel line, but it would take a little more time and a little more modifications.
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most hoses of that type have a pretty standard barb fitting underneath that fancy crimp. Cut off the crimp carefully with a dremel and replace the hose with some high pressure fuel injection hose, then double clamp.

Or, you can cut the quick disconnect ends from the metal line and clamp directly to that.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^^ I had done what Jbolty said. I removed mine before they blew, they were jelly-like when I squeezed them. You don't need a tool. To remove them, squeeze the two tabs together and pull on the other end. They are called quick connect tabs in the Service Manual.

Go to autozone, napa, or oreilly and buy gas lines with double clamps. Make sure you leave slack in the line to compensate for engine movement.
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have a PM.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@jbolty, using a Dremel is out of the question, fuel sprayed everywhere and I dare not make any sparks.

@Hard_oNe, my tube is definitely jelly-like. My problem now is removing the top of the tube from the metal line, right by the engine/header - this was the last picture I put up. THere is no quick-release and there is no way for me to remove the crimp easily. So my thought was to cut the metal tube just past the rubber. I tried this with strong wire cutters but it pinched the tube. Now I'll have to cut a little above that. I guess use some tube cutters to properly do this, but I'm unsure if I will have enough space to use them. Maybe go buy a small one or buy some pipe cutters? Any suggestions?
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get a close quarters tube cutter

Where does the other end of the hard line go? You can probably take the whole thing out in one piece if you cut the rotted part; clamp that off with a vice grip.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like that would work! The other end of the hard line goes towards the front of the engine then goes into hard plastic lines that then go up to the fuel rails.
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used a small tube cutter like the one Jbolty posted. The only method to removing crimped gas lines is to cut that mutha off.

Here is a pic of mine:

When replacing the high pressure fuel line, I recommend that you kink the end of the cut line a bit so the rubber hose doesn't slip off from the pressure. Borrow or buy a flare tool from your local auto parts store would do.

Video help:

As a safety precaution, always have a fire extinguisher next to you when working on gas lines.

Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_oNe View Post
I used a small tube cutter like the one Jbolty posted. The only method to removing crimped gas lines is to cut that mutha off.
When replacing the high pressure fuel line, I recommend that you kink the end of the cut line a bit so the rubber hose doesn't slip off from the pressure. Borrow or buy a flare tool from your local auto parts store would do.

As a safety precaution, always have a fire extinguisher next to you when working on gas lines.

If I remember correctly the fuel line at the top of the engine has a ridge where the hose snaps onto. Not so sure about the bottom but if you have to cut the metal line, definitely flare that sucker before you put the hose on it. Those lines run in close proximity to your exhaust and if you spring a leak you'll be having Jeep BBQ for dinner.

I changed the rear lines out on my '95 and used quality fuel injection hose with fuel inject hose clamps and I never had a problem with it. Just get the right parts and take your time fixing it properly.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel leak , fuel line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.