fuel issues,where do i start ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel issues,where do i start ?

CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 06-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #1
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuel issues,where do i start ?

I started noticing some hesitations while driving my 89 2.4l. I replaced the fuel filter first, but still have the same hesitations and they are more frequent now. Is it the fuel pump?... hit me back when you have time before I invest in one, and recommendations on where to buy.
Thanks....

azjeepbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What makes you think it's a fuel issue? You should have a 2.5L TBI.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't buy a fuel pump yet. The install process is not the easiest of repairs and you're not sure it is the culprit. You should make sure your maintenance is up to date first. Could you answer the following questions?

Is there any difference between when the engine is hot/cold?
Does it hesitate while under load or while near idle?

Check maintenance issues first! Please confirm that the following are relatively new (within the last couple years perhaps?):
New fuel filter ($7)
New spark plugs ($10)
New plug wires ($30-100 depending on favorite flavor of price)
New distributor cap ($14)
New (or cleaned) air filter ($14)
lubricate the throttle cable
Remove the cables from the battery terminals, engine block grounding strap, firewall grounding strap. Clean them with a wire brush and put dielectric grease on them (available from autozone for $1.49 at the counter)
Bottle of throttle body cleaner ($5) Clean throttle body. when finished, spray it on all vacuum hoses while at idle, listen for a change in RPM.

If all of that is up to date, go to autozone and borrow the fuel pressure gauge. It is free to borrow if you leave a deposit. check your fuel pressure. You shouldn't install a new fuel pump until you are certain the fuel pressure is incorrect.

For hesitation, you'd be surprised how a new fuel filter and spark plugs can really improve the engine performance.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey mike all tune up is new, new battery and cables, i'll check the t/body, I can feel it under load, and and sometimes at idle, I spotted it a few days ago, after driving it about 8 miles in morning. nothing when driving home after work. started her up the next am and she was cutting out, so just put her back in the driveway. did some research on pump removal, not a problem..someones gotta do it. hit me back....
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the throttle body and IAC is usually only the issue if the problem occurs at idle speeds. If it is happening under load, then it could very well be the pump. It's not terrible to drop the tank, but it isn't simple either. Some people will just cut an access port through the cargo area. This makes it field serviceable. You'll just want to check the pressure first before doing the pump though.

Just to be sure, double check on the fuel filter direction. We all know that we put it in correctly, until we find out that we didn't.
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuel filter is in correctly, cool, i'll check pressure, off the top of your head, what is a good pressure reading?
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think it was 14.5 psi for the 2.5L TBI.
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks mike....
Unread 06-25-2015, 03:53 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it happen when cold or does it only happen when it's warmed up?
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cold.....
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

O2 sensor or an exhaust manifold leak. Try disconnecting the o2 sensor and see if it still happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.