fuel issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel issues...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

fuel issues...

Ill try to stay on point here....
Just spent a week in colorado. WHile there the mountain roads were really giving me trouble with power loss(altitude) had to use 2nd gear alot(auto) and bog alot.
By the 2nd day after a long climb we made it to a trail, i started smelling gas. I got out to look and there was gas leaking down side of tank, and the fuel pump sounded like a jet engine.(i was close to full) Once we made camp problem was gone in morning, only to return after more mountain highways. The next time I shut it down and could hear hissing from top of tank, pulled the gas cap and is let a ton of pressure out.

-I eventually made it home ok, the pump was loud after the 15 hour drive but not most of the way home.

-I have/had a few theories about the problem, maybe the seal on top tank blew from pressure, but why so much pressure?

-I unhooked all lines in and out of the evap canister and blew thru, none were blocked, including the vent back to tank.(it was a slow air flow tho) also no pinches were found.

-Fuel pressure test was around 32 idle, 41 with vac line pulled from FPR. holds @29 for at least 15 mins after shutdown. I couldnt remember if I was supposed to block that vac line or the reg itself with finger but it made no difference.

I think I will be changing the fuel pump, even though it still works it had to take damage from all the distress, it sounded so bad. Just wondering if anyone has insight as to what might have caused all the excess pressure in tank, the seal to blow, and the pump to whine like a jet. (filter is about 1 year old)

Unread 09-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You should have a vented gas cap that will relieve the pressure as it builds just like the one on your radiator. The bonus is you have a system that is tigh.

The gas leaking may point to bad seal at the top of the tank.

As for fuel pump noise it may be a sign of a change coming.

As for altitude there is a blurp in the Haynes manual about driving at altitude and a jumper wire for the computer but it has been a long time since I read that one it will take a little research.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think I will try a new fuel cap, it only built the pressure like that 1 out of the 5 times the pump started screaming. Everytime thereafter I would check and no pressure. Isnt the jumper wire for carbed engines?

The other thing I have noticed is the parts stores call for several diff types of fuel pumps, so I suppose I need to yank it first and match
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got the tank down tonight I think the gas was leaking out of the vent line since it was not hooked up. No sign of leakage by the seal. Still doesn't explain the fuel pump sounding like a turbine, esp since it holds all pressure #s to spec. Its louder than normal when cool, and insanely loud when hot.
1410054963887.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pumps get loud when they get tired. Is you charcoal canister plugged? It's probably over 20 years old. When in Colorado, run the lowest octane fuel you can without pinging.

Your horsepower was reduced up to 30% with the lower air pressure. That's a good chunk. Your gearing is kind of tall for 35" tires especially in the thinner air.
yep the negative jumper is for the carter.
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

All lines to can were clear, and you could hear the can cycle when we sucked/ blew on the hoses to it. I ran 85 87 and 89 out there and never felt a difference. As far as gears I have the 3 speed can't go much higher and retain hiway driving its already 3k rpms to go 68-70. Most of the mtn highways I was down in 2nd gear doing 35-40
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Having an export model tank isn't helping me find the right fuel pump lol. Tried 2styles at parts store neither were right. MTS even told me their stuff won't work right in there.
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Besides the noisy fuel pump, are you sure there aren't any issues hurting your engine performance? We have similar set ups ( have smaller tires) and have no problem doing 70+ up any mountain pass.
Could your converter be a little plugged?

In regard to the fuel pump noise. Everything I own has fuel pump noise after running it hard on a hot day. Especially climbing passes.
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well the vent line to the canister wasn't plugged in on top of tank. So that was splashing gas out and obviously the engine hasn't been burning the vapors. The mtn roads I was on are the twisty turny small roads that had a speed limit of 35 but spots of 55. I couldn't get any faster on the huge climbs. The noise wasn't just noise it sounded like death.
Unread 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, mine goes from silent to I can hear it.
I'm from Colorado so I know the roads you mean. Probably state routes westbound from the foothills.
Is there a reason you can't go back to a factory tank so you can use a stock fuel pump? They were good. In many cases lasting 20 years.

I still think your power might be down some.
For instance. If I leave my Jeep in drive and floor it letting it shift by itself, it will bark the tires shifting into 2nd. I have a stock engine.
This isn't me saying my Jeep will bark the tires into second, ha ha. This is trying to figure if your Jeep might have something affecting it's power output.
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think the jeep just needed to remind me its an islander not a mountain edition
my 1-2 and 2-3 shift is pretty early, yet trying to get it to downshift 3-2 takes flooring it. even when I turn a slow corner and doing 10-15 mph it stays in 3rd. I have to manually pop it back to 2 in most cases. it bangs in good and probably would bark if I was on it enough.

Suppose adjusting the cable might help with it but I like the easy going shift points for normal driving. As for normal power I have never felt this thing had the power people claim so maybe she is down. the coil/plugs/cap/rotor/air fuel filters are all fairly new. Maybe adding that evap line back to the mix will give it a little pep, since its been off for a long time(have always smelled the fumes back there) it has 104k on the clock so it shouldnt be worn out by any means. Once I was below about 6k feet it seemed to return to normal. at least in 4lo up at 12k feet everything was ok on power.

the other thing to note is I was severely weighed down compared to normal with camp gear, 4 axle shafts and ton of other parts.(not to mention armor and recent winch and huge rear bumper/tire carrier)
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Export tank?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Que you are not alone...I was thinking the same thing --- is "export tank" code for made in china?
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Apparently some of the export model yjs were sold domestic. Or at least certain parts for export models were put in domestic yj. I know it was news to me also
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

There's the # comes up as export
1410276192534.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.