fuel injectors - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
pinzgauer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

fuel injectors

Hi all, need to replace my intake manifold/ exhaust manifold gasket ,, on my 95 2.5 do I need to remove the injectors before removing the intake manifold ? And if I have to remove the injectors do they just pull out ? and will I have to remove the electrical wires ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 12:44 PM
johnnyboy559
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just did this too, you don't have to remove them if you just want to slide the intake manifold out of the way. You should at least disconnect the wires to them though, label which one goes where and they just pop off. If you do decide you want to remove the injectors as well, they do just pull out, but the more often you pull them out, the more you risk ripping the o-rings.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had to do this recently. I pulled the connectors off the injectors. The connectors can be tricky to pull off. I accidentally broke 2 of the plastic locking tabs trying to get them off. the other 2 came right off. If you are just doing the gasket, you probably don't need to take them off, but may make it easier. There isn't much to it. BE careful when you are removing the throttle cable. Mine was brittle where it mounts in the square hole above the manifold. The plastic housing with the spring broke and I had to get a new one from advance auto. The replacement did not have a spring at that point so the feel was a little different. Just a word of warning to be careful with the old brittle plastic.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 PM
johnnyboy559
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzywicki View Post
I had to do this recently. I pulled the connectors off the injectors. The connectors can be tricky to pull off. I accidentally broke 2 of the plastic locking tabs trying to get them off. the other 2 came right off. If you are just doing the gasket, you probably don't need to take them off, but may make it easier. There isn't much to it. BE careful when you are removing the throttle cable. Mine was brittle where it mounts in the square hole above the manifold. The plastic housing with the spring broke and I had to get a new one from advance auto. The replacement did not have a spring at that point so the feel was a little different. Just a word of warning to be careful with the old brittle plastic.
For this issue with the throttle cable, I just moved that whole assembly and left the throttle cable in the hole. I think that might have been easier. It's only held on by 2 bolts and a nut onto the intake manifold. Here's an image with it detached from the manifold.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i agree... much easier to remove as en entire piece and swing it over.

to OP:make sure to depressurize your fuel rail before ANYTHING (via shrader valve). as suggested, remove electrical connectors and label them - trust me, removing the entire fuel rail as a piece and zip tying it out of the way (i used the grill support) may seem like an extra step, but it makes things easier.

Replacing the gasket is simple enough to take short cuts - you're going to have to clean up the mating surfaces a bit - all the extra space will only make you breathe easier as you're doing it

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 AM
johnnyboy559
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey BruinJeeper, why depressurize the fuel? I don't usually do that if I'm not actually removing the injectors from the rail. Definitely not saying your wrong, I just want to know so I can do it better next time.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

im no genius, but i'd rather not have X number of PSI shooting fuel everywhere. If you're not taking out the rail, don't worry about it.

I just offer extra precaution based on what i have read/seen.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also like/need added space... so whenever im getting in there and taking stuff apart for a job like this, i go all the way and clean everything up.

But yes, the injectors do NOT need to be removed from the rail, you're not doing anything wrong

~YJOTM MAY '16~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.