Fuel Injector Connector Pigtail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Injector Connector Pigtail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Injector Connector Pigtail

The plastic wiring case next the fuel rail is broken, and the electrical tape inside is brittle, flaking off. I gathered connector pigtails figuring I could add fresh connectors while everything is pulled out. My plan was to solder the pigtails onto the harness wires, but now I wonder if I should re-tape and leave the connector wires alone. I found one thread about soldering, but need advice on go/no-go the replacement. Thanks!

LonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like to use the inline twist and solder methods.
Sometimes I use a crimp butt connector without the plastic, then solder.
Either way finish with heat shrink tubing with plenty of overlap to seal it up.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is actually a good writeup if you are a total wiring noob.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Mast...time/?ALLSTEPS
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Third post, just to clarify there are two parts to a wiring connection
ELECTRICAL and MECHANICAL
Make sure you get both. Solder is an electrical connection and should never be treated as a mechanical one!
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Plastic wiring case? Is it the loom that goes around all the wires or the wire coating itself?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Plastic wiring case? Is it the loom that goes around all the wires or the wire coating itself?
Good catch! I ASSumed he was describing the connector end and being cracked, which they can/do after 20 years of heat cycles.
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You do not need to replace the injector wires. They are not a wear part and should last the lifetime. The wire loom cover and tape is an easy replacement but in no way would I replace a connector or wiring that did not need it!
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You do not need to replace the injector wires. They are not a wear part and should last the lifetime. The wire loom cover and tape is an easy replacement but in no way would I replace a connector or wiring that did not need it!
Agreed. I have HAD to replace several on other cars, and I mis-understood the OP's issue this time.

There really isn't much worse on a used car than finding out the previous owner hacked up the wiring
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, then the EFI Wire Cover, which encases and protects the injector and forward mounted sensors, is broken and the 300K miles have taken their toll on the injector wires that protrude from that plastic thingie. (Quadratec has a nifty billet EFI cover thingie for $89.99). I'm the only PO "Sun" (Islander) has/will have so I am hacking 'em. We fumbled through long block, head rebuild @250K, so now the old boy going to get beucoup connector/wire replacement. The boots on the injector connectors are all shot - probably too much heat from the header upgrade. Sandblast, paint, wrap should fix that in the future. Anyway, thanks guys. 'Appreciate the help.
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pic helps. Can't see doing it if you make a problem for yourself later. Pig tail it's ok. shrink wrap any connection under the hood.
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Noob Splice

OK. Here's the hacked injector connector splice. Western Union wrap (1"), solder, double heat shrink (1.5" on splice, 2" on 1st shrink tubing). Resistance same as unspliced wire. New connector boots due tomorrow and I can get through, then get the whole fuel tank problem resolved.
splice.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.