Fuel Injection Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Injection Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
tricky916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Injection Conversion

I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L, with Howell tbi. Would like to convert to a fuel injection system. My question is what Year, Make and Model of Jeeps can I get parts from ?

tricky916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Howell TBI is a fuel injection system. TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection.

Do you mean convert it to a multi-port fuel injection system? MOPAR makes a conversion kit. http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=95
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

howell TBI is great,

I have the Mopar multiport fuel injection system (MPFI). If there is an advantage over the TBI, It's very difficult to tell... The MPFI costs about $2500 for parts now.

You could also pull off the fuel injection parts from a 94 or 95 wrangler. You'll need a lot of stuff, I think you have to pull the intake, headers, fuel injection electronics, computer, entire wiring harness. you may as well just put the whole 4.0L engine in.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
tricky916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank You for the correction on the different name types of fuel systems and the responces The question was for the (MPFI). The TBI is a good system, better gas mileage and more power still having issues with it unfortunately.....floods when cold on start up, until warm then it idles smooth. The TBI settings I have are 9 degrees btc, fuel presssure is with in Howells specs, no vacuum leeks, been scratching my head at this point .
Unread 12-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that is interesting. I don't think I've heard of a flooding issue with the howell before. I bet you can get it back into good health. also, I'd do a few diagnostics before going through the expense of MPFI. They may be causing your problems, if so, then MPFI won't help.
Tune-up: Do a basic tune up if you haven't done so in a while, champion copper core plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter, oil, oil filter
Check for vacuum leaks: Just spray some carb cleaner on all the vacuum lines just after start up. I'd also hit around the intake and exhaust manifold.
Check vacuum pressure: Borrow a vacuum ague from autozone, its free if you leave a depsoit. Use the vacuum gauge to make sure you don't have a leak and your rings and head gaskets are in good condition. Compare to the chart on this page: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...ealth-2841418/
Check compression: you can usually check compression with the vacuum gauge, but a compression gauge is better. It is free to borrow from autozone. Check dry an wet compresion ratio. make sure they are consistant across all cylinders.

If you are serious about upgrading to MPFI, Quadratec has the kit. If you want to try to find the parts yourself in a junkyard from a 94/95 engine, then read the first page of the instructions (parts list) in the pdf on quadratec's site: http://www.quadratec.com/products/17005_01.htm
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You realize you're not going to be able to pass smog right? Here are your options in CA, Howell TBI kit (that's the way I went and love it), MOPAR MPFI kit, or an entire 4.0 swap and visit to the referee.

You cannot piece meal a kit and pass. You may be able to sneak it past some unknowing tech, but if you get an eagle eye, you've essentially wasted all your time, effort and money.

I'd suggest calling Howell with any issues you're having. BTW, I run an HEI with the Howell and my timing is about 13* BTDC, but I'm also a little higher elevation than you.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your problem isn't that you need a MPFI system or a 4.0 swap.

Your problem is that your jeep is broken, you need to fix it or get it fixed.

The regular tuneup is always a good idea. You can use better Ford parts. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

Otherwise, use the suggestions above, figure out what is broken and fix it. You ought to be able to pull codes from the ECU somehow, which should help you figure it out.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
tricky916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for your replies....going to look into the issue of compression, fuel pressure, air leaks, map sensors and what ever else that might be the problem.
Unread 12-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice.

Once you work the bugs out, you'll find the Howell TBI to be an excellent fuel injection system!

AMC didn't plan to use MPFI, that happened when chrysler purchased Jeep and wanted to use their own system instead of the one AMC had designed by Reneau. MPFI turned out to be the wave of the future though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.