Fuel Injection on the 4.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Injection on the 4.2

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Injection on the 4.2

Yeah, the subject has been worn out quite a bit. But I'm looking for newer and up-to-date information.

See, I love carburetors, so much so that late at night, I like to get a bottle of 80wt oil, strip naked, climb in the engine bay.... erm, anyhow.
I have always been a fan of carbs, but am thinking about trying something new. So I thought I might upgrade to a 4.0 head and do an FI swap while I'm at it.
The reason behind the FI swap is that, unless the Automakers fail and I lose my job and move back to Kentucky, I'll be staying here in the frozen hell of Michigan, and in the dead of winter (starting now and lasting until March) carbs struggle, alot. So what the hell, right?

I've read probably every thread, twice. And a few different writeups. But most of that stuff is just the same thing repeated over and over - like Fox News.
So, if I do decide to do this next summer, I'd like some clarity. I know I could search all this out, but haveing a thread on here might help someone else in the future.

So is there an advantage to any of the multitude of FI setups over one another? I know I can get a donor XJ and rape it to get everything, but what else wan be used? What is the cheapest route, what is the easiest route, and which route involves drinking the most beer?

I'll admit it, I know nothing of Fuel Injection, I'm (almost) totally ignorant of how they work and how to install one. And I blame this on me being stubborn as a muel and not "embracing" it back in the early 90s when carbs starting going to way of the dinosaurs.
So school me here young'ns! Tell me if this is something I should even do, and maybe even convince me instead of me just thinking about it!

DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Brandon, first of all, you are a sick puppy! Secondly, I never thought I would read about you actually considering fuel injection. Welcome to the 21st century! Don't worry about those big three automakers, if they are allowed to sink, we will all have a much bigger problem on our hands!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
Brandon, first of all, you are a sick puppy! Secondly, I never thought I would read about you actually considering fuel injection. Welcome to the 21st century! Don't worry about those big three automakers, if they are allowed to sink, we will all have a much bigger problem on our hands!
But I work for them, so my job is definitely on the line.

And yeah, I'm just thinking about climbing out of my cave and embracing this new invention called "the wheel".
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Breifly, FI replaces the need for a float bowl. It's electronically timed to squirt fuel, saving wasted gas.

Here's a thread with some more info. ....

Fuel injection in a 4.2
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey brandon yj if you do decided to go fi, hit up affordable fuel injection. They guy that ownes it is a friend of my dads. I have the TBI kit on my jeep and it runs like a dream in the winter, starts every time no matter how cold. I even park outside. But he makes the TBI kit and the MPI kit. And i think a kit that just gives you the wiring harness and comp and then you go get the other struff from a junk yard. He is a cool guy based out of michigan (howell area i belive).
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rik, that was a good read, especially he humor from wendell.
I'll have to check the link in post #2 at a lter time though.
Are you currently running the AFI kit?
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
Hey brandon yj if you do decided to go fi, hit up affordable fuel injection. They guy that ownes it is a friend of my dads. I have the TBI kit on my jeep and it runs like a dream in the winter, starts every time no matter how cold. I even park outside. But he makes the TBI kit and the MPI kit. And i think a kit that just gives you the wiring harness and comp and then you go get the other struff from a junk yard. He is a cool guy based out of michigan (howell area i belive).
No ****? I should just drive over to Howell then and meet him.
What all did you kit come with and how much did it cost? I can't view the link due to my browser.
Tell me more about it please?
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the kit came with everything but a new throtal linkage. Throtal body, adapter plate, all the wiring. And a new computer to go with it as well as a electronic fuel pump. My dad who owned the jeep before i bought it of him bought it (for probably alot cheaper then what it is listed for) lol but it listest for like $1400.

232 and 258 inline six (special TBI adapter) $1420

Included with Complete System
ECM (production GM unit)
Custom calibration chip for your specific application
TBI Unit Includes TPS and IAC control
Flow Matched Fuel Injectors
Custom built wiring harness for your vehicle
HEI EFI Distributor (Full spark and fuel control)
TBI adapter gasket and hardware
ECT, MAP & O2 sensor
External Fuel pump with relay
Power relay
Check engine indicator
Installation instructions
Tech support
Many miles of low maintenance fuel injection operation

TBI Conversion Prices: (Buy Now)
under 360 cu. in. $950
over 360 cu. in.
(Larger two inch bore throttle body and larger injectors) $1200
232 and 258 Inline Six (Special TBI Adapter) $1025

Included with TBI Conversion
ECM (production GM unit)
TBI Unit Includes TPS and IAC control
Flow Matched Fuel Injectors
Optional tach Filter (add $75)
ECT, MAP & O2 sensor
Power relay
Check engine indicator
Tech support

DIY kit Prices: (Buy Now) $535

Included with Do It Yourself Kit
Optional tach Filter (add $75)
Power relay
Check engine indicator
Note: Tech support is not included with this DIY kit.
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, $1400 is alot of cash.
That $500 kit sounds more my pace.
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Brandon, if you have some extra coin (if you are like me, then you don't you might consider doing a stroker conversion with the parts. of course you do need a 4.0 block...so maybe out of the question.

food for thought pal

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Wow, $1400 is alot of cash.
That $500 kit sounds more my pace.
haha yeah like i said my dad didn't pay that either, i think it was more around the $800-$900 range. But hey give him a call. Pm me if you want a name to through around for some money off
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A stroker isn't in my future. I don't need any more power really than what I have, the 4.0 head swap would be great because I can pick up a head for $50 bucks and work at a shop, so I can do all the machining here for free.
I'm just finiding myself more and more interested in going FI just to try something new.
But for $1400 I could just purchase one of our crate engines here at work from the company and have $500 left over.
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

but then you have the cost of everything else. Which more than likely would cost more than $1400. But a DIY kit and the 4.0L head sound like it would be a good cheap combo. I want to do the 4.0L head swap, just leary about jumping into it, and have no idea where to get one cheap.
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That DIY kit for $500, that appears to not come with a TBI.
Do you happen to know any of the specifics on it?
I'm assuming the guy just grabbed all the parts from boneyards. Wondering what all else would be needed to get it working.
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
but then you have the cost of everything else. Which more than likely would cost more than $1400. But a DIY kit and the 4.0L head sound like it would be a good cheap combo. I want to do the 4.0L head swap, just leary about jumping into it, and have no idea where to get one cheap.
In the Detroit area Craigslist postings there is a 4.0 HO head with Felpro gasket kit and 1/2" bots (new bolts) for like $150 OBO. That's not a bad price considering the headbolts run about $100 by themselves. Search for "chrokee head", you'll find it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.