Fuel guage not working correctly dying at idle - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Fuel guage not working correctly dying at idle

I ran out of gas today and my fuel gauge was reading a half tank. I thought when fuel gauges didn't read correctly it was either fuel or empty?

I added two gallons and then when to the gas station. As I pulled put the jeep in reverse to pull into my driveway the rpms dropped and the jeep stalled. What would cause this to happen?


2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11 View Post
I ran out of gas today and my fuel gauge was reading a half tank. I thought when fuel gauges didn't read correctly it was either fuel or empty?

I added two gallons and then when to the gas station. As I pulled put the jeep in reverse to pull into my driveway the rpms dropped and the jeep stalled. What would cause this to happen?
Fuel pump. Check the ground at the parking brake. The gauge and pump share a ground and it grounds at the brake assembly

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

Fuel pump. Check the ground at the parking brake. The gauge and pump share a ground and it grounds at the brake assembly

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum
You happen to have a pic of where the ground is and what it should look Lk near brake
jeepstillhaslif is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,747
I can get a pic tonight. I am headed to work right now

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Tblair23221
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 43
If it is by the ebrake, here is an image that might help.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a6c53b8.jpg

The wire was actually on the other side of the bolt (nut side) but I had moved mine to the other side while testing it. The wire itself can be hard to see but once you see the bolt, you should just be able to reach your finger around the back and find it.
Tblair23221 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
It is really annoying every time I stop it dies. It's really annoying in traffic.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Could the iac just need a good cleaning?

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
jeepstillhaslif
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: alice
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblair23221
If it is by the ebrake, here is an image that might help.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a6c53b8.jpg

The wire was actually on the other side of the bolt (nut side) but I had moved mine to the other side while testing it. The wire itself can be hard to see but once you see the bolt, you should just be able to reach your finger around the back and find it.
Thanks for the pic. A little hard to understand pic at first but prolly be easier once I feel under near my e brake. So can we clean this area of rust or just make sure contact is good. Do we disconnect the bat
jeepstillhaslif is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Tblair23221
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstillhaslif View Post
Thanks for the pic. A little hard to understand pic at first but prolly be easier once I feel under near my e brake. So can we clean this area of rust or just make sure contact is good. Do we disconnect the bat
To give you a bit of perspective, to the side of the bolt you can see the lever for the brake release. Also, if right when it stalls (or when it won't start back up) the fuel gauge on your dash pegs to Full, it is most likely the ground.
Tblair23221 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblair23221

To give you a bit of perspective, to the side of the bolt you can see the lever for the brake release. Also, if right when it stalls (or when it won't start back up) the fuel gauge on your dash pegs to Full, it is most likely the ground.
It's always started back up.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
I found a hose with a crack. Replaced it. The problem continues. I am going to clean the iac and throttle body and replace the tps this weekend and see if that solves the problem.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11 View Post
I found a hose with a crack. Replaced it. The problem continues. I am going to clean the iac and throttle body and replace the tps this weekend and see if that solves the problem.
You really need to check that ground.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

You really need to check that ground.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum
There is not a ground by the ebrake. Could the ground be somewhere else?

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11 View Post

There is not a ground by the ebrake
If not the ebrake check the one by the oil dipstick. I have heard it being eithier place. Mine is by the ebrake though.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler11
Registered User
 
Wrangler11's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11

There is not a ground by the ebrake. Could the ground be somewhere else?
There is a similar wire like picture by the dip stick. Cleaned it. It looks good. Problem is still there.

The symptoms do sound like it could be the ground. Maybe it's two completely different problems.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
Wrangler11 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome