Fuel Gauge Wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Gauge Wiring

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Gauge Wiring

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I've searched all over and can't seem to find a helpful wiring diagram.

This is probably a coincidence, but I just installed a CB and removed the rear track bar. At the same time, my fuel gauge went to full, and recently driving it now reads at empty. I can only assume it is an unrelated electrical issue because I attached the CB to the stereo wiring (Don't have a stereo).

To troubleshoot so far, I removed the instrument cluster and cleaned all the contacts, including the ones on the electrical connector. This fixed my oil pressure gauge issue finally, but didn't fix the fuel gauge. Before I start dropping the tank, I wanted to check the Ohms on the wire leading to the fuel gauge, but I don't know which wire it is on the connector. Can someone please shed some light so I can test the sending unit in the tank without all the ugliness?

photoboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would go back by the rear track bar and make sure you did not smack the wiring harness back there. Unplug the coupler and check the connections - DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
ovrlnd

go to the back of the jeep on the driver side, inside the frame at the top of the tank you will see the sender/pump harness. disconnect that. the center wire (gray or brown) is the one you will need to check. put an ohm meter on that wire and on a clean ground. your factory resistance is 0 ohms empty 88 ohms full. also check to make sure the ground to the tank is good.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm not getting any Ohm readings from the wires in the harness, so it looks like I'm going to need a tank drop.
photoboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Tobynt89
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with that!

I did that not too long ago, its a pain in the arse!

While you're at it, replace the fuel sock inside the tank on the sender unit. Mine smelt of a sewer. BLEH!
Tobynt89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.