Fuel Gauge Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Gauge Problem

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Gauge Problem

Hey guys. I'm having a problem with my 91 YJ (6 cylinder). I've done some research, but haven't quite found whats wrong.

I bought this Jeep not too long ago. The guy a bought it from did the 15-20 gallon conversion on it and said the fuel gauge worked fine.

The problem is that the fuel gauge always reads full when the car is on. If it is off, the gauge goes down to empty. And when I turn it on it goes all the way to FULL. The stranger thing is that when I fill up the tank, it reads all the way past the FULL line on the gauge. And then after a while it goes down to the FULL line. It never goes below FULL unless I turn the car off.

I have to carry extra gas and just reset my odometer every time I fill the tank and keep track of when I think I'm going to run out.

Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks guys.

ign_cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bent/stuck float inside the fuel tank.
Depending upon where it's bent, it will ges stuck at that point... and it may have been bent by leaving the old float in while overfilling the tank due to the conversion which would also be the reason it reads overfull when you fill it up. It could go to empty when there's no signal coming from it (ignition off) but when ignition is on, it reads the level... in this case a false level due to the bend.
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

... or the signal lead for the sender is not getting to the dash. You have a 'low ohms empty (0) and high ohms (90) full' gauge. That means an open wire will read full.
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A bend huh? That makes sense. Any hints on what else to look for when the tank is dropped?
And how could I check the amount of ohms? Where would I put the multimeter prongs to?
ign_cas is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.