Fuel Gauge Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Gauge Problem

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Gauge Problem

hi my fuel gauge when i turn right or left it goes to empty and then when the jeep its going straight it goes back to where it was, but its never steady, it this normal ?? thanks for all the help.

salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is odd!

I think it would more odd if it worked right.
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its the gas sloshing around and moving the float. Its a jeep thing.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what do you mean by sloshing around and moving the float?
salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The tank's float movement is inline with the vehicle. It should show a different level going up and down hill, but left right
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsomano1a View Post
what do you mean by sloshing around and moving the float?
The float on the sending unit, it floats on top of the gas which tells the sending unit how much fuel is there and then you read it on the gauge.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Marky1

How much work is there to fix or replace the sending unit ? My son's fuel gage is not working. thanks.
Marky1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
How much work is there to fix or replace the sending unit ? My son's fuel gage is not working. thanks.
No easyway out, you have to remove the gas tank completely. Once the tank is out, it's a couple of bolts to replace the sending unit.
Here's a write-up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...moval-1167482/

Before putting the tank back, do this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...panel-1195157/
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Marky1 you should check the guage first. The YJ guages are known to be an issue as well as the sending unit.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starting point

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/

Enjoy!
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if this was in the write-up, but when I replaced my fuel pump I also cleaned the sending unit sensor:

Unfortunately, no picture, but it's easy to find. Where the swing arm for the float attaches to the assembly there will be a little box (about 1" long by 1/2" high). Gently pry open the box and you should see a crescent shaped coil of copper wire - this is where the signal is sent from.

Wearing rubber gloves, take the assembly someplace in the open, not near any plant or animal life, and spray the crescent with electrode cleaner (pick up at auto parts store of Home Depot). I used up almost a whole can, moving the arm and shooting everything from different directions.

The gauge still moves if I floor it, or turn hard, but that is to be expected. It no longer dances all over the place, or shows full when it's empty, and vice versa.

Good luck.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.