Fuel Gauge Not Working? Try This First.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Gauge Not Working? Try This First....

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
mikenj73

Fuel Gauge Not Working? Try This First....

Ok, we all know about the legendary Jeep fuel gauge. If yours doesn't work, try this first. Take apart the center of the dash and remove the gauge. Take some fine sandpaper and clean the contacts on the back of the gauge and on the circuit board that the gauge mounts to. After you clean them off, put the gauge back and then turn your ignition on. If it doesn't work, try cleaning them a little more, making sure you covered all the spots where the gauge contacts the circuit board. Then put the gauge back in again and see if that does it. I figure it's worth a try. It's easier than replacing the sending unit and cheaper than replacing the gauge.

Unread 11-11-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i did this when my voltmeter went out. definitely something to check before replacing the more complex stuff. just watch you don't bend the needle of the gauge doing it. i would also recommend a light coating of di-electric grease (same stuff you use on spark plugs) on the clean terminals to help prevent corrosion from reforming.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My guage didn't work and I did exactly that and it fixed everything.. just to confirm your experience to others

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
Bobbywolf

I had the same problem with my voltage guage. After checking all the wiring, I pulled the guages, removed the nut from behind the guage, and pulled off the contacts (yes, they just pull out). The contact surfaces were all green and oxidized. After cleaning them up, the guage worked like a charm.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #5
jeep75

i had a similiar problem. the inside lights didn't work, tach didn't work, no gauges worked, no gauge lights worked. took gauges out cleaned them - nothing.

Took a look at the fuse box - totally blueish green. went to autozone bought an ignition point file (3 in a pack for 3-4 bucks) very thin. went to town on the two clips that hold the fuses in and the fuses themselves.

Guess what - everything BUT the fuel gauge works fine.

My fuel gauge goes down to 3/4 tank and sticks there.
jeep75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Bushey6

THANKS for posting that! I had an inop oil press gauge- I just finished stripping it down, used my dremmel tool with the wire wheel and cleaned everything up (gently of course) and I have oil pressure again!! Thanks for the tip!
Bushey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.