Fuel Gauge Issues need some direction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Gauge Issues need some direction

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
combsn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Gauge Issues need some direction

So i just bought my YJ a few months ago and like all jeeps it needed work. I have been replacing parts here and there making it more reliable. (when i got it the previous owner had cut out the fuel gauge completely). So i ordered one, dropped the tank to verify everything was good and then hooked everything up and when I move the floater the following happens.

when i move the floater to full it only goes to a little over 1/2 tank. when i move it to empty the gas gauge goes to full.

I haven't had much time yet to mess with it any further yet so i was just looking for some direction. (I am thinking i may have got the - and + swapped (but that wont address the full movement). Also after i drained the tank (and dropped it) i went to fill it up and it took 19.4 gallons to fill up. that being said I also believe the sending unit is for the smaller tank, but could be wrong.

thanks for any help.

combsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As for the guage question, I haven't the slightest idea, it's electrical so I'm sure Que will stop by to solve your problem shortly. As far as the 19.4 gallons to fill up, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but if you thought you had a 15 gallon tank and were surprised it took nearly 20, this link may explain it. Short version, they're all 20 gallon but many of them came with a mod to limit them to 15 gallons.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...2-hour-516115/
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.