fuel filter replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel filter replacement?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
rolledthatho

fuel filter replacement?

hey guys, i ran my 4.2 carbed 88 out of gas, i know it got trash sucked up from the bottom of the tank, so im gonna clean the carb and replace the fuel filters, how many are there? where are they located and are there any special tools or tricks to change them?

i searched and found a lot of info but not any tech articles or anything on swapping them out!

TIA

rolledthatho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
KyleS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If its the same for your 88 as it is for my 95 its located along the frame in the back on the driverside. Its a pretty simple install if I remeber right one end just clips in and the other uses a male\female type of bolt setup for the lines.
KyleS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

As KyleS says, it's pretty easy. There is a small skid plate under it.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.2's fuel filter is in the engine comaprtment - different than the MPFI engines. It's that metal canister on the fuel line right in front of the carb. It has one input and 2 outputs (one to the carb, one is a return line back to the tank). It's stupid easy to replace.... just loosen the hose clamps for each line to remove them. Shouldn't take more then 5 minutes.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
KyleS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
The 4.2's fuel filter is in the engine comaprtment - different than the MPFI engines. It's that metal canister on the fuel line right in front of the carb. It has one input and 2 outputs (one to the carb, one is a return line back to the tank). It's stupid easy to replace.... just loosen the hose clamps for each line to remove them. Shouldn't take more then 5 minutes.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure if it was different between FI and carbed or not. Guess I learned something new.
KyleS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.