Fuel Dumping from Passenger Fenderwell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Dumping from Passenger Fenderwell

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Dumping from Passenger Fenderwell

So, I have this problem where fuel dumps out of the passenger rear fender when I have the Jeep angled uphill (as in, any time I am climbing anything). With fuel as expensive as it is, I would get this fixed...of course, the safety issue is pretty significant too.

I dropped my gas tank today for some work and discovered this just sitting (unconnected) on top of my gas tank:

What you are looking at is a rubber sleeve thingy that connects the rollover valve to a metal tube which later turns into rubber again right before it enters the tank. The rubber sleeve is broken, so any gas that spilled/sloshed out the top of the metal tube was just running right out the fender. This is an image looking up into the fender where you can see the top of the metal tube and the rest of the rubber sleeve that is still held on with a hose clamp:

I looked around online and this looks like it might be a replacement for the rubber part: Rollover valve "connector"

Here's another one that is probably almost certianly the right part. It is part number YJRVC-1 at: http://www.mtscompany.com/miscjeep.htm and here is what it looks like:

Unfortunately, they are have a super crappy website and it looks like you actually have to call them to place a credit card order? Hello, 1995 called and they want their website back...

Or this (another 1995 website) with a the whole valve and rubber connector for ~$30: http://www.willys.net/html/fuel.html

On the other hand, this check valve on Quadratec looks like it might eliminate the rubber piece completely and it's a fraction of the price: Quadratec Check Valve That might be nice to just get rid of the crappy (unreliable) rubber completely.

Here's another one that I could potentially just replace the whole assembly with to eliminate the rubber part for ~$13: http://store.delorean.com/p-6703-roll-over-valve.aspx

What you think? Opinions?

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine with one from Chrysler, they had it in stock.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So, since there is no dealer nearby, I went ahead and called up MTS. They are shipping me the part priority mail for $19 ($13 for the part + $5 for shipping) and supposedly it should be here later this week. Apparently they don't advertise prices online since they are a wholesaler and usually sell only to local distributors. Keeping my finger's crossed.

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.