Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

fuel delivery

675 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Meister_jeep 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I was to install a 4.0 head on my 258 could I go ahead and install the fuel injection also from the 4.0 or would it not work since the engines have different CID's. It could be an alternative to an aftermarket fuel injection or carb.

#2 ·
Buddy of mine and I are doing something like that .. only in a bit of a reversal setup.

We are taking a 1990 4.0l engine, boring it .030 over, running the 258ci crank and rods, setting flat-top pistons on it, then planning on putting the deck'd head back on. Expecting something in the range of 9.5:1 compression, and a displacement of 4.5l once complete.

Our calculations show that the 22psi injectors should do the trick .. but if they don't, a set of 28psi injectors off of a Ford Mustang 5.0l would easily swap in and give it the extra boost.

We are going to be swappin' this engine into an XJ next weekend .. so we can let you know more about it after a couple weeks of testing this setup.

For you .. starting with the 258ci engine, you would be able to swap the 4.0 head onto it .. just make sure that you plumb in an electric fuel pump to provide the required fuel for the 4.0 head. Also, you would need the computer control, sensors, etc from the 4.0 to make it work right.

#3 ·
do you think the FI system of the 4.0 would deliver enough fuel to the cylinders of the 258? since the system was made for a 4.0 and not a 4.2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.