Fuel boiling in carb - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel boiling in carb

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
That's about right. Those nice nylon sprockets made the chain run quieter...right up until they self destructed.
What does the timing cover look like? Mine had a notch that looked perfect for a tensioner (there was none in any parts breakdown I could find) that was 3/4 worn away by chain slap.
No tensioner, just a phenolic rub strip. Not really needed as they are long gone on 3.4ths of these engines on the road.

If your OCD is getting to you about it, you can put a new cover on , should have the little tab on it.

Unread 06-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #32
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
No tensioner, just a phenolic rub strip. Not really needed as they are long gone on 3.4ths of these engines on the road.

If your OCD is getting to you about it, you can put a new cover on , should have the little tab on it.
I ended up grinding away the othe 1/4 of it. I figured no need to have somewhere to gather crud. that was ~5 years ago.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #33
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Finally!! Since the oil pan had to come off to install the timing chain cover properly, I decided to replace the oil pump and rear main seal. Found all kinds of bits and pieces of the nylon coating off the camshaft timing gear......had clogged up half the screen on the oil pump. Got her all put back together and rechecked the timing and was @ 12 BTDC with new timing chain. Readjusted to 9 BTDC and she purrs like a kitten now! Haven't driven her for any distance to determine if my fuel boiling issue has been resolved.....waiting on rear shocks to show up today.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Arrrrrrgh!!! Fuel is still boiling after all this engine work!! I came home & tried a different approach to this for troubleshooting. The fuel always seems to boil after driving for a while & shutting her down. Within 5 min I can hear the fuel boiling in the carb bowl as long as the hood is closed. This time I lifted the hood after I shut her down and the fuel never boiled. Did some searching on the forum & discovered where folks were trying to reduce their under hood temp (not engine temp) by installing louvers.....which btw was mentioned early on in this thread. I have now ordered the 5-piece Genright louver kit & hope to install this weekend. Will post some pics & let everyone know of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #35
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

hopefully the louvers solve your problem, they really let alot of heat out. be sure to cover your motor and hood when cutting, the sparks will burn into the paint, I didn't and had to use polishing compound on my hood.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #36
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have an electric fan or belt driven?
It seems like you are running hot all the time but once the airflow stops that the heatsink gets too much. It's normal for the temps to rise under the hood when you stop so if you are close to the boil point...
Maybe a large electric fan with a delay circuit or run until under x degrees.
Also have you looked at your radiator? It might not be overheating when running but if it is not really effective you could reduce the temps by removing more heat when it's running.

I'd bet that the louvers will work but not everyone likes the look on their hood.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #37
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

vadslram, I am running a belt driven fan (see my engine pic earlier in this thread) with a new fan clutch, radiator, water pump, & 185* t-stat. Primary fuel feed line is 5/16 but is encased in a larger hose by splitting the larger hose down the middle (notice the larger diameter hose from my fuel filter). My running temp always stays @ 185 (maybe 195 on hot days in traffic). Problem only occurs when shut off and sits for ~5 minutes. No doubt it is from the residual heat of the coolant in the intake manifold that is not being cooled indirectly by the fan/radiator which also happens to sit directly above the exhaust manifold. Have just been looking for solutions to the under hood temp without having to cut into the hood. I too am a little hesitant to install the louvers for fear that I might not like the look, but at this point I don't have any other option aside from the electric fan with delay circuit. The plan is to remove the hood tomorrow and start cutting....I suppose the look will grow on me. Will try to take some progress pics.

I wonder if the hard starting that a lot of people have is related to this issue as well and they just haven't noticed the fuel boiling/evaporating? Just a thought.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #38
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Adding metal heat shields and more insulation of the fuel line can help, but the carb itself is sitting just inches from your exhaust manifold that reaches over 500 degrees at shutdown.

All these engines heatsoak the fuel system in warm weather, you may be trying to fix something that isn't really broken.

You can install a boost pump then do a flooded-start routine every time you do a hot start, but that isn't really necessary.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #39
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try the electric fan route first. You can always take it off without permenant changes to the sheet metal. Maybe try a small one just directed at the carb from low on the fender. Hook it up to a manual switch and see if by running that you can keep it from boiling. If it does than at least you have a posible non cutting solution.

I'm wierd about permanent changes. I still have the old carb and distributor in a box, even though there is NO WAY I would ever put them back. I would need to be dam sure it was right to cut into my hood.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #40
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the louvers installed today! Will be driving her tomorrow for a test run.....will take a better pic of the hood installed on the rig tomorrow.
image.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #41
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That doesn't look bad at all. Nice install work!
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #42
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I purchased the 5-piece kit, but after laying them out on the hood I decided not to install the front louver.....didn't like the way it looked. This turned out a lot better than I anticipated. Wasn't able to drive her today due to rain forcast and I've got the doors off right now. Will try again tomorrow. Here's a pic of the hood installed.....not a great pic since she is sitting in the garage.
hood.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #43
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looks like they belong there, nice work. get her up to operating temp, then put your hand over them while its running, you'll be amazed at how much heat is coming out.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #44
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Problem solved!! Drove her to work today & on the way the way home it was 90* outside temp, engine @ 185*, 40 min drive home on highway & stop/traffic. Got home, shut her down, and placed my hand above the louvers......wow, what a lot of heat coming out!! Good news is after a few minutes there was no fuel boiling!! Do I think the louvers alone solved the problem? No, but I think the louvers in conjunction with wrapping the fuel lines & replacing the sloppy timing chain together solved my problem. Thanks to all for their input/suggestions/expertise.
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #45
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown73 View Post
Problem solved!! Drove her to work today & on the way the way home it was 90* outside temp, engine @ 185*, 40 min drive home on highway & stop/traffic. Got home, shut her down, and placed my hand above the louvers......wow, what a lot of heat coming out!! Good news is after a few minutes there was no fuel boiling!! Do I think the louvers alone solved the problem? No, but I think the louvers in conjunction with wrapping the fuel lines & replacing the sloppy timing chain together solved my problem. Thanks to all for their input/suggestions/expertise.

Cool beans!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.