Fuel boiling in carb - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel boiling in carb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir, that is what we are here for, ha ha ha. Just playing, I really don't help to much as I am not specialized to a certain model vehicle so I don't know the little secrets.

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are timed right and your TC is not too loose you are experiencing "pre vapor lock"

Did you add an exhaust header to this rig? That would do it.

Vapor lock is your gas vaporizing in the carb before it gets used because it is way too hot. At the drags the old 'fix' was a cool can filled with dry ice.

Try insulating the fuel lines in the engine compartment.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Started by wrapping the fuel lines first. Haven't driven it yet to see if that solved my problem. On a side note, discovered fuel boiling in carbs isn't that uncommon. I found on Camaro, Corvette, etc forums where they experience the same problem and it always related to the heat build up from the exhaust manifold. It wasn't specific to a manufacturer either as I read where Holley, Edlebrock, & Weber owners have had the same problem. All started by wrapping the fuel lines or rerouting them. I posted a pic of my engine compartment......enjoy & thanks for the suggestions!

image-2686041822.jpg

[QUOTE=Rproject;15815900]The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.[/QUOTE]
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Vapor lock (fuel boiled in carb or lines) is very common in HP "V" configured engines. The carb is nestled nicely between two valve covers and doesn't get a whole bunch of air around it. On our straight 6s where the carb is hanging off to one side though there should be plenty of room for air to move around. keeping the incoming fuel cool by insulating should help but if it is bubbling in the carb you should do more to cool that. I read here where people disconnect the water to the intake mani but that will actually make it worse. If you have good coolant flow than your intake should never get hotter than 195 degrees, Without the coolant it can get way over 250.
Here is a thought, Try switching gasoline brands/ stations. Gas is configured differently depending on the season, grade and producer. If you look up boiling point of gasoline you'll find that the RANGE is 90 to 400! Huge swing! that's because they make it differently for different temperature profiles. Maybe you are getting a winter blend fuel that is supposed to boil/evaporate at a lower temp. Marine fuels and Higher octanes are configured for a lower temp too specifically so they aerosolize faster.
Worth a try.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another thought about your problem. Check your clutch fan to see if it is good. After you have fully heated this engine up and driven it for some distance, pull over and shut the engine off.

Pop the hood and attempt to spin the fan. There should be some resistance. If not that may be the cause of your heated fuel issue. The viscous clutch mechanism is dead and needs to be replaced. The viscous 'fluid' leaks out of the mechanism but never gets noticed.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I neve liked fuel lines routed across an engine, like the yj 6 cylinders have. My karman ghia ha the lines routed like that and had horrible vapor lock trouble. Had to reroute all the lines along the edge of the engine bay to stop it
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Drove her to work this a.m. and no fuel boiling so far. Will really get a true test this evening when I drive her home in the 90 degree heat.

[QUOTE=Rproject;15815900]The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

glad its working so far.
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, got home today only to discover fuel boiling in the carb bowl again. Only happens after the engine has been off for about 5 minutes without any air flow. Decided to check the timing chain slack as suggested earlier in the post........

Set the timing mark to 0 degrees with the dizzy cover off. Rotated the crank in the opposite direction and ended up with 16 degrees before the dizzy rotor moved. Did it three more times just to make sure and each time was the same.

I suppose that would have a considerable effect on power at highway speeds?
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #25
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
^^This^^

I had the same problem when I lived in Ga
Only I never routed it back thru the manifold
It ran lousy in the winter until it was fully warmed up
How much does the manifold heat jacket affect the warm up time/semi cold idle performance? Will it help the idle by 5 minutes or more or not. I have mine bypassed but it will run like crap until completely warmed up.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lookie, lookie what i found when i pulled the timing chain cover off!! Maybe this is causing my excessive heating problem as suggested earlier in this post. will know for sure in a few days. will keep everyone updated!

image-2884056091.jpg

Unread 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

...."earlier in this THREAD"....lol

Unread 06-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Don't forget to clean the oiling hole behind the cam gear when you have it off. The hole is usually blocked with crud on that age engine.
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #29
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wowsers!!
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's about right. Those nice nylon sprockets made the chain run quieter...right up until they self destructed.
What does the timing cover look like? Mine had a notch that looked perfect for a tensioner (there was none in any parts breakdown I could find) that was 3/4 worn away by chain slap.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.