Fuel/ Air Mixture - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel/ Air Mixture

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-17-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
puckeater1

Fuel/ Air Mixture

My mechanic says that when he revs the engine from a standstill that the mixture is running lean. I have a FI 258 I6 and was wondering is that a difficult thing to fix. My problem is this guy has had my Jeep for over SIX MONTHS and im tired of being told that its going to be done next weekend. Ive been told this now for 2 months. So i wanted to know if thats the only problem remaining, is it ok to drive it From Reno to San Jose approx 350 miles over mountains, for that distance and not hurt anything? Then get it fixed here.

THanks for the suggestions.

Unread 10-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #2
evilpsych

your mechanic is a MORON.. it's a problem with one of only a few things..

1. an electric sensor (O2, IAT, TPS, CPS) is reading something that the FI computer is sensing as a lean condition. replace if bad, then reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

2. Your fuel injectors/fuel pump isnt getting/producing the proper fuel pressure in the line (clean the injectors, check for clogged charcoal canister/vent line and pickup for the pump)

3. your fuel pressure regulator could be toast.. and maintaining a lower than normal pressure.

your FI kit.. is it aftermarket? check for proper lb rating for your system's pressure.. you could have gotten the wrong injectors..

what other things have you done to your engine? basically stock?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 01:20 AM   #3
evilpsych

have you considered the probabilty that your mechanic is driving your rig offroad when you're not there? he's prolly repairing damage he did to it when he had it at the rubicon..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 02:22 AM   #4
johny1i

I could see 6 months if you were doing it yourself after work each evening or something, but NOTHING should take a mechanic 1 month to do, much less 6 of them!! You need to raise some hell and get yourself moved up the priority list--it's not like he's rebuilding some rare 60's Maserati or something--jeeps just aren't that complicated!

As far as the lean thing goes--that added oxygen will probably make the combustion chamber temps hotter, which could cause it to ping easier, but otherwise you should be ok (don't take this as the gospel though!). Drive it around for a few days first, if possible, and then check your plugs--if the insulators are pitting or blistering then there's too much heat in there. It needs a "shakedown" drive of at least a week or so anyway before taking off 350 miles, in my opinion, just to check for leaks, etc. before you are on the side of the interstate.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 02:59 AM   #5
puckeater1

The only other thing that was done was there is an "RV" cam put into it to give it more torque. That and headers but i dont think that would make a difference. The FI system is the Aftermarket one from Mopar.

Yeah i know 6 months is killing me, and unfortunately hes 350 miles away. Thats why i want to know if this is a problem that can be taken care of after i get it back and drive it home.
Unread 10-18-2002, 08:12 AM   #6
lostboy

How different is the CAM from stock? I was gonna put one in mine when I did the same conversion,but the folks at MOPAR recommended against it. Could this be your problem? Also, how is the valve timing? Did you replace the timing chain and sprocket?
Unread 10-18-2002, 09:14 AM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Puck ..

Borrow a buddy with a big pickup truck (a 1 ton would be fine), visit your local U-haul shop and grab a trailer from them to load your Jeep onto.

Drive to the shop, get your Jeep and bring it home .... Your baby misses you and needs your tender loving care. Do it .. don't hesitate .. just do it!!!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 09:23 AM   #8
puckeater1

Yeah Naekid i thought of that a few times. I guess i keep thinking that everytime he says "this weekend" it will be done. Honestly the cost of doing that stuff would be alot for me. Ive already spent so much on rentals and all other expenses. That and i dont think i wanna piss the guy off, afterall he has my jeep and I REALLY dont want him screwing it up (sabotage) before its done. I dunno i guess i learned. This is the stuff he did just so you can gauge it

New engine, 258 (was 2.5 lt)
new tranny
(metal fillings found in rear transfer)
Fender flairs
new dash
Lift and custom shackles
FI unit
new cam

And he kept telling me problems that came up...
Yeah im really frustrated.. just dont have the money to be flying back and forth and checking on it.
Unread 10-20-2002, 04:51 AM   #9
Gator

simple....
dont tell him your coming & just show up with a truck & trailor to pick it up like Naekid said... & simply get back to the house, test it out some & send to a LOCAL shop to have them check the Lean Fuel Mixture on it
Any so called Mechanic that keeps someones vehicle over a month is a < Add lib here> only reason that should happen is if they went into the Hospital & didnt have anyone else that worked for them
with the list you showed, sounds like hes doing a full restoration, instead of a upgrade

inquiring minds are wanting to know... how much is all this costing you ?
< Scratching head> cause the fender flares & Dash are whats throwing me off as to why that has ANYTHING to do with a engine swap
go get the Jeep & turn him in to the Better Business Bureau, & might as well call Osha in on him to < those are some Nasty SOB's when it gets down to the knit picking!!!!!>
either one you call, wont give your name to the shop as to why they showed up... just just do it.... Osha can charge him up to 25000 a day for oil spots on the floor... now wouldnt that be a swift kick in the *** on getting back at him.....

if i lived any closer... i'd bring my truck & trailer over & we'd go get it... plain & simple & all i'd ask was split the gas in half with me... < cause muh one ton gets 10 Mpg when i'm pulling LOL>
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:56 AM   #10
lostboy

Hope ya get that jeep back soon; and here's something I remembered about the install.
You said you put a bigger cam in. I'm guessing here but I would assume it has a longer duration and higher lift than stock so basically you have a larger by volume fuel/air mixture entering the chamber. The fuel pressure regulator that came with the kit was meant for a stock cam,but there is available an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for that kit.
Did you install one of these? I have the links to several good write-ups that helped me during the install. Write if ya need them.

Good Luck
Unread 10-20-2002, 12:09 PM   #11
puckeater1

Hey Gator that is very cool of you. In all honesty it is just one person, and he did break his hand and his mother died. Granted im very understanding, but 6 months???? I dunno it just sounds to me like he bit off more than he can chew. In all honesty it sounds like thats all thats left, and if i do rent a truck and trailer and then have it done down here... i dunno im just thinking that might be pricey of about 10 fold. I dunno i guess i have definately learned my lessson. I work on aircraft motors alot in school but not vehicle, and i didnt want to mess with it myself.

So far the total cost is $7400
that includes

258 Engine
used FI unit
New wiring harness
Headers
X-15 Tranny (rebuilt)
nerf bars
Bushwacker flares
4 inch lift
custom 2" shackles
White face gauges/ blue lit
RV cam
work done on rear diff.
new radiator
new horn
And alot of odds and ends he said he had to get.
fuel pump etc.
I think thats it for the most part.

But im sure i will have to pay more....

Hey lost Boy, im sorta hoping he knows that... (about the fuel metering with the new cam) He supposedly qualified in that and he also had a guy he calles his mopar Guru to com over and help.

PROBLEM: He said that it would run great for about 2 miles then it would cut out totally on him. then he would have to wait a few min before starting up. Again he didnt tell me what the fix was, just the problem. He also said that when he revs it from the start the mixture runs lean. He told me its a problem with the Computer that controls the fuel???

Thanks for the help guys...
Unread 10-20-2002, 02:34 PM   #12
Gator

No Problem dude...
one thing tho, the Mopar FI kit comes with a new fuel pump, so why would he need a new one ?
just curious, the possibility of the new one going out is highly unlikely
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:03 AM   #13
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by puckeater1
So far the total cost is $7400
that includes .. {a whole lotta stuff} ..

Thanks for the help guys...
Readin' over that post I would say that this guy is tryin' to bend you over and ram it to you deep! To me, without knowing more than I do, I would say that this guy wants your Jeep, and wants you to "give it to him" in payment for doin' the work. You have two choices .. leave it with him and start fresh, or get it this weekend, chalk it up to knowledge (and a big dent in your wallet) and work on it yourself (or pay someone in beer) ...
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.