front wheel bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front wheel bearing

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

front wheel bearing

So I bought some new tires today (31X10.5X15 BF Goodrich all terrain t/a) and I was not able to get an alignment because my front right wheel bearing is apparently bad. I was able to wobble the tire with my hands while the car was lifted. My question is, where is the best place (cheapest) to buy a replacement and is their a write-up anywhere? I'm searching, but haven't found too much as of yet, any help appreciated!

cpundsack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do a search for unit bearing.
Though if I remember right your year of Jeep can replace just the bearings, but I have not heard of anyone being able to do it.
You can buy the unit bearing pretty much anywhere. Looking at under $200.
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the best place to buy the unitbearing would be Napa, they seem to have the best quality/price. For the how to replace it I would refer to your Haynes/Chilton manual. The hard part will be getting the unit bearing to let go of the housing. I have found that a sharp chisel in between the bearing and hub helps to get things moving. I used an impact chisel and it popped right out, down here in the desert we do not have to contend with rust so things are much easier. PB Blaster will be your friend.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys!
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel bearing assembly is pretty straightforward to replace. Any decent parts store will have them. I recommend Timken bearings.

Look at the first post in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...sembly-377533/

The hub assembly should be just about the same on your vehicle.

If the hub doesn't pop right out, check the trick in my signature. In some areas, they will rust-weld themselves into the steering knuckle.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heck they are cheaper than I thought.
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Heck they are cheaper than I thought.
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year
Nice! only $100, the stealer was quoting over $200 plus labor! figured I should research it a little . . .
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I believe the best place to buy the unitbearing would be Napa, they seem to have the best quality/price. For the how to replace it I would refer to your Haynes/Chilton manual. The hard part will be getting the unit bearing to let go of the housing. I have found that a sharp chisel in between the bearing and hub helps to get things moving. I used an impact chisel and it popped right out, down here in the desert we do not have to contend with rust so things are much easier. PB Blaster will be your friend.

Dwayne
Check out the linked photo in my signature. You can wedge the hub assembly against the axle tube, and use the steering to pop it out. I was a bit skeptical at the idea - I had utterly destroyed the first hub with a chisel and a couple hours of banging on it before I found that method. The second hub literally popped out of the knuckle.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Check out the linked photo in my signature. You can wedge the hub assembly against the axle tube, and use the steering to pop it out. I was a bit skeptical at the idea - I had utterly destroyed the first hub with a chisel and a couple hours of banging on it before I found that method. The second hub literally popped out of the knuckle.
Thanks, I will give it a try and report back!
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I used that same method years back, except with a deep socket. Worked better than I could have imagined!

I installed a $70 NTP unit from Advance and haven't had a problem with it since... but now I see rockauto.com has the Timkin for only $87.79.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
I used that same method years back, except with a deep socket. Worked better than I could have imagined!

I installed a $70 NTP unit from Advance and haven't had a problem with it since... but now I see rockauto.com has the Timkin for only $87.79.
Hmmm, Thats a good price! that site is sooo unfriendly to search! can you link me to that timkin?
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpundsack View Post
Hmmm, Thats a good price! that site is sooo unfriendly to search! can you link me to that timkin?
Yeah, that site took some getting used to for me... but I've got it mostly figured out now. I'm still not sure how to directly link to one of their parts though.

The part number you want is 513107. The easiest way to find it might be to click on the "Part Number Search" tab at the top, then enter that number and select "TIMKIN" as the manufacturer.

If you go through the long way of selecting your year, make, model, engine, etc., it's located under "Brake/Wheel Hub", then "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly".

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
Yeah, that site took some getting used to for me... but I've got it mostly figured out now. I'm still not sure how to directly link to one of their parts though.

The part number you want is 513107. The easiest way to find it might be to click on the "Part Number Search" tab at the top, then enter that number and select "TIMKIN" as the manufacturer.

If you go through the long way of selecting your year, make, model, engine, etc., it's located under "Brake/Wheel Hub", then "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly".
Found it! It is still close to $100 shipped and will take quite a while to reach me, so think I will go with the $70 Napa part so I can get this done over the weekend, and not sacrifice my new tires
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look on ebay, I bought a pair for $95 shipped I think, made in USA, two for the price of one at autozone
540i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
cpundsack
1987 YJ Wrangler 

why is every bolt on a jeep impossible to get off, damn! stuck on both the caliper bolts right now . . . letting the pb blaster soak in . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.