Front weel bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front weel bearings

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-01-2001, 07:49 AM   #1
glm 87 wrangler

Front weel bearings

My haynes book says my front wheel bearings
need special tools to work on them.So i am guessing they are pressed in. Is this so?

Unread 12-01-2001, 11:27 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They're not serviceable. The hub, spindle and bearings are all one sealed unit. We tried to service a set once but they failed very soon afterwards. Your best bet is to simply replace them. If they're not totally wasted, carry the old ones as trail spares.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 01:10 PM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

Well off to the shop i go. Will take it in and have done my front right wheel is starting to have a little hum.Not that bad but dont want to take a chance.Thanks,Gary
Unread 12-01-2001, 01:40 PM   #4
I-4

DO GO TO THE SHOP IF YOU ARE MECHANICALLY INCLINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!it took me and a buddy 45 minutes to do this surgery that included putting the dust shield for the rotor on backwards and pulling back apart!the only thing that will really help is let the three bolts get plenty of penetrating oil and a slide hammer will make very short work of a very easy project.it is very easy to do...
Unread 12-01-2001, 06:47 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, it's an easy job if you have the tools. The tools you need are exactly what you'd need if you were on the trail and broke an axle u-joint or a shaft. So they're a wise investment.
Unread 12-02-2001, 06:39 AM   #6
glm 87 wrangler

Well i have all the tools so I guess they are not pressed into the hub.Just pop the whole assebly out and put the new in?? If thats the case I have done them on cars before I know its a diffrent set up but if the bearings are
one unit I can do it i was just worried they may be pressed in.I do have a slide hammer.
Ill read a little more about it.Jeeps do differ from cars.But im sure I can handle it.
Thanks again,Gary
Unread 12-02-2001, 01:07 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, you pull the whole assembly. Then put in a whole new assembly. Keep the old for spare.
Unread 12-02-2001, 01:26 PM   #8
evilpsych

how much an assembly cost ususally?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2001, 06:15 PM   #9
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never bought one so really I'm not sure. I've only known of two of these to fail among my friends. One on a YJ (he had an old spare) and one XJ. The one on the XJ is the one we tried to service but it didn't work. He bought a new one but I never did ask what it costed. If I had to guess, $30 used $75 new. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was double that, but that'd be worst case I'd hope.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.