Front U joint replacement. How hard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front U joint replacement. How hard?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Front U joint replacement. How hard?

I was told they needed replaced soon.
They have got to clicking, and it is starting to annoy me.

How hard is it to replace them the front axle U joints? I mean the steering ones, not the drive shaft.

Anyone got a write up?

I did search, but I couldn't find one.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Removing them-
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

Replacing the joint-
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

However while your in there I would just replace the shafts with 1 pice shafts.
You eliminate the problematic Vacuum Disconnect, and get larger 297X Ujoints which are ALOT stronger.
The shafts are essentially drop in, You need to remove the fork off the Vacuum actuator. And install a Napa #11800 Seal into the Passenger side of the pumpkin.

You can get the shafts from TJ's Or the newer body style XJ's.

They were about 60 bucks for both from Pick n Pull.
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

if u r a visual person like me:

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

But, Long story short.

Its very easy. Invest in either a small shop press, or a ujoint replacement kit(Essentially a big c clamp)
Especially if they are original joints it will make your life alot easier.
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
fishnic
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did mine. I tried the method of inserting a socket behind the head of the bolt and it wouldnt pop the hub free. I ended up using a puller with a huge bar to crank it. when it let free it almost popped the entire axle half way out. They looked like original u's and i didnt have a vice or a ujoint tool. I took them to a buds house who had a vice and he hammered them out and pressed the new ones in. As long as you have a vice you can do it yourself. I am not the worse mechanic, but not the best.

I only broke 2 bolts on the actuator. if they are original which they most likely are, just replace them.
fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnic View Post
I only broke 2 bolts on the actuator. if they are original which they most likely are, just replace them.
What did you break?

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
fishnic
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i broke the head of one of the 4 bolts taking the actuator off. once the actuator was off the stud threaded out easily with a channel locks. so i replaced that bolt. putting it back on i snapped 2 more bolt heads off with very little tightening torque. off the actuator had to go. got one of the studs out, but the second had nothing to grip so i have to drill it and remove it. didnt have the time or energy so its on with 3 bolts now. I would buy 4 new matching bolts if I had to do it all over.
fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As others have said, pressing out the old joints and pressing in the new joints shouldn't be that big of an issue, but if you don't want to mess with this, you can always just pull the shafts and have a machine shop press in the new joints for you. I have heard of guys paying as little as $10.00 for a machine shop to press them in. The Harbor Freight ball joint press also works well on U-joints.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most parts stores have u-joint presses available for rent.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
jmsjokerhaha
1991 XJ Cherokee 

this can be done easily with just a c clamp and a hammer or just a vice and a hammer. the only thing most people dont have laying around is a 36mm socket for the rotor and hub. VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT BUY CHEAP CHINA MADE PART FOR EXAMPLE DURALAST. THE SPACING IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT AND THEY ARE A ***** I RECOMMEND BUYING PRECISION OR SOME OTHER U.S.A MADE JOINT
jmsjokerhaha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any advise if your axle u-joints are original? Looks like mine are. The end caps look fused to the axle and the C-clips are at such an angle that I can't even get a screwdriver, let alone one of them there retaining clip plier thingys, in there.
94YJ4L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just take it to a machine shop, they'll press them out of there for u for 10 bucs. The ones that came in my tj axle shafts were the same, nothing short of a nice big press was going to take them out.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.