Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #91
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

No not another should I remove tracbar question.

My post is about flex. History: Removed rear long ago. Just got around to removing front and it made no difference. The flex was the same in the front. I jacked up one side, left one side of the trac bar connected then realigned the trac bar and it was off only half of the bolt hole. Then I lowered the Jeep removed the sway bar and that easily gave me another inch of flex. Yes all my shackles were loose for testing.
So is the front trac bar debate a myth?
Are the RC springs so firm they just wont flex to take advantage of the removal?
Sorry not rying to find a new way to beat a dead horse, just trying to dial in my suspension/bumpstops. Opinions?

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #92
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me make sure I understand...you took off the trac bar and tried to see if it made a difference in the flex with the swaybar still connected?

RC springs are pretty flexy...

Unread 02-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #93
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I doubt it's stiffness.
Despite popular belief, I run RC AAL all around and get pretty good flex for 1.5 inches of lift and that's about as stiff as they come.
I removed the trac bad and I have my 31s crammed up inside of the fenders at full flex (I've already done some fender damage haha).
It may just be a myth, though I think it just allows the axle to move in a more fluid motion without the variable of a metal rob limiting it's movement in any direction.

I'm not sure if I'm correct.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

-Brian

P.S. - Full flex with AALs. Tracbar (front) and sway bar removed.
-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #94
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While I'm at it,
Sorry for the hi-jack, but would anyone here know how to prevent my tires from bending up my fenders (the sheetmetal part) without hurting the uptravel of the axle (i.e., extra long bumpstops inhibiting up axle movement).

-Brian
-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #95
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I removed mine and it made a huge difference. I'm not sure that a floor jack test is a real test.
Take it out and play with it. Bend it, flex it, and abuse it.
You can always put it back on if you don't notice a difference.
dsc03689-20-28medium-29.jpg  
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #96
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
Let me make sure I understand...you took off the trac bar and tried to see if it made a difference in the flex with the swaybar still connected?

RC springs are pretty flexy...

Yeah I tried it both with the sway connected and without just for comparison purposes.
I was also unsure about the floor jack test. It can't simulate the type of flex in your pics.

I guess I will have to go try it out now. Thanks for the input.

Unread 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #97
scrapinrocks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

having the track bar on limits flex my almost 30% although you will not see any results with the sway bar still connected.
scrapinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #98
Goobersbro

How new are your spings are they broke in yet??
Unread 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #99
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinrocks View Post
having the track bar on limits flex my almost 30% although you will not see any results with the sway bar still connected.
Thats kinda what I was getting at with my post. Alot of guys say they remove trac bars but leave the sway. To me(based on my little test) you have to remove both to see the results.

BTW my springs:They are about 1+ years old and been off road a number of times, they should be broken in by now.

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #100
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdriver View Post
Thats kinda what I was getting at with my post. Alot of guys say they remove trac bars but leave the sway. To me(based on my little test) you have to remove both to see the results.
This is true. Most people who say remove the trac bars but keep the swaybar most of the time mean that you should keep the swaybar but install swaybar disconnects. That way you are sway free on the road, but then disconnect it when youre off road.
Unread 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #101
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdriver View Post

BTW my springs:They are about 1+ years old and been off road a number of times, they should be broken in by now.
okay wasnt sure i know my rear springs just now have been finally broken in and there over two years old the PO never really wheeled it and then once i started wheeling i removed the rear track bar and they are a lot softer now havnt taken the front off yet but soon after i fix my ball joints buy a steering dampener fix my steering column and buy new tie rods i will be good to go
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #102
YJ Newby

Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Maybe I am just being a dolt, but after extensive searching of the forums, I am unable to find a "Track Bar Removal for the Chronically Dumb" write-up. I keep reading all of the threads, and read all of the benefits [ride, flex, etc.] but every time I crawl under the Jeep to try this mod, I do not really know where to begin. Is there a "How-to" write-up anywhere on this forum that will walk me through the need-to-know's about removing track bars/sway bars? I am desperate to do this, but still nervous about going into it not fully armed with the do's and don'ts.

'90 YJ with a 2-3" Body Lift, but stock suspension.

Thank you for your input.
YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #103
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #104
jeepdrvr101

Do you have a Chiltons manual? It has a decent explanation. However it says nothing about the sway bar.

2006 Ram 1500 TRX4 5.7 HEMI All stock
jeepdrvr101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #105
jeepdrvr101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptr View Post
Thats the old style, you need the new SUPER-SUPERSAWZALL, it rotates 180 in the center, and is shorter, lol

2006 Ram 1500 TRX4 5.7 HEMI All stock
jeepdrvr101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.