Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #91
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

is it a dd?? if so yes! you can buy longer sway bar connectors.

Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #92
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do a search & you should find all the info you could ever want on track bars...I believe it's called "everything you ever wanted to know about track/swaybar removal". Hope this helps.
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #93
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_man50 View Post
A track bar and sway bar are two different things so getting longer sway bat links are not going to help the track bar fit.

OP no you do not need it on a leaf sprung rig in my, and most other YJers opinions. On a TJ it is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #94
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_man50 View Post
He said track bar. And the answer is no, you most likely will not need it. Getting rid of the front and rear track bars was one of the best things I did to my jeep.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #95
xaran
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IMO as long as your front end components are in accepable condition (alinement, tie rod ends, steering box etc) you dont need it and wont ever feel any difference on the street as a DD. You will see a great deal of improvement off road - flex and on my YJ it was a a better ride on the road as well, not as stiff.

Best and cheapest single mod, remove both of them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...waybar-602709/
1995 YJ, 2.5 l, 4:88 R&P
4" RC Lift, 1" BL, 32-11.5-15 tires
8000 lb HF Winch
xaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #96
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The front trac bar if parallel to the drag link will minimize bump steer. As your frame moves up and down as you drive the vehicle the distance between the pitman arm and drag link connection on the vehicle will try to change. Without a trac bar the frame will move just straight up and down. The pitman arm will move left and right to make up for the distance change. This will cause the steering wheel to rotate CW and CCW. That is bump steer. You hit a bump and the steering wheel turns. The trac bar will try and keep this distance the same by moving the frame left and right as it bounces up and down.With a suspension lift the trac bar and drag link will only be parallel at one point and as you steer left and right they get out of sync with each other. So either alleviate some bump steer at the expense of jerking the frame left and right or deal with bump steer that can even break a finger when off roading. The only solution is to keep everything parallel. Lifting can cause severe shimmying. Large tires can really exagerate the condition. I had a Dodge truck with a 14 inch lift and 44inch tires and my first test drive shook the truck violently. That began a long expensive lesson about suspensions. The picture is of the backend of the truck. There were no kits for 14 inch lifts for 2004 3/4 Dodge trucks because they changed from Dana to Corporate axles. So I built the entire lift kit except for the springs and spring spacers.
truck-007.jpg

bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #97
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know about having one attached to the jeep and all, but you should definitely keep that front trac bar handy in the back of your Jeep for beating off rabid squirrels, coons, banjo playing rednecks and the occasional mountain goat. It does make a handy weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #98
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I dont know about having one attached to the jeep and all, but you should definitely keep that front trac bar handy in the back of your Jeep for beating off rabid squirrels, coons, banjo playing rednecks and the occasional mountain goat. It does make a handy weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #99
kodiakkris400
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I removed my rear 7 months ago when I bought my yj because I replaced the blown 35 with a 44. When I put on my 1.5"shackle lift (on top of the 2"spring lift and 2"body lift from the PO) a month ago the track bar pulled the axle out of line so I took it off.there is noticeable bump steer, but not to bad. Also at high speed (around 60) on sharp turns you can feel the body pull to the outside. This is also my DD which I drive ~200 miles a day. I would recommend reattaching the sway bar though. If you really want. To see for yourself check out YouTube, I'm sure there's some video on there.
kodiakkris400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #100
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

No sways, no tracks. Made an emergency swerve at 40mph, felt fine.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #101
Vin91
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be running 35s And i already have taken off my rear track bar
Vin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #102
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

removed the rear montsh ago ^^ sure made difference... keeping the front sway bar on though... ill prob test out how it feels with the front track bar removed over this weekend ^^

1995 YJ 2.5 LOW OUTPUT 31s 4.5" Lift
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #103
SB90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pulled my track bars off today; couldn’t believe the difference in ride! The difference is simply unbelievable. I left the sway bar on since it sees highway time as my dd. There shouldn’t have been, nor was there any effect on the steering of the vehicle. This is my second YJ, and I wish I had done this to my first!

Scott in SC

Keeper of Ole Bullet
SB90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #104
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i had to cut my front trac bar off because the damn bolts were so stuck that not even air tools were working.

i just took bolt cutters to it and used the steering to break the off the bar from the frame. those mounts that were holding it on were pretty weak so just a few turns to the left and the right and it popped right off.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #105
Go4Low
2006 LJ Wrangler 

E-Brake Cables to short and to track bar or not to track bar?

I'm installing a 4.5" BDS lift into my 93 YJ and the passenger side parking brake cable is to short at full extention so I was thinking about getting longer cables for both sides, anyone got a solution for this? Also my buddies are getting into fisticuffs over the track bar. One says to toss it, the other says to use the BDS extention, and the other one says to get an adjustible track bar. I'm going to be putting a wilderness roof rack on it and I intend to load it up so any imput would be appreciated. Once I finish the rear then I'll move up to the front. I just bought this YJ and we nicknamed it B.A. Jeep for Back Alley as that's where we found it as it had been sitting for two years with a blown engine. So if you've been there throw out your idea's, thanks!
Go4Low is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.