Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #76
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrecks View Post
So a disconnected front track bar will not cause death wobble after hitting a bump?
I would suspect a all joint, just because everytime one of mine has gone bad that was the symptom for mine also. Hit a bump, all hell breaks loose. But be thurough and check everything.

yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #77
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, I was hoping for an easy fix! Anything specific to look for? A leaking axle seal is soaking my TRE on the passenger side and it looks like the rubber "Boot" on each of the TREs are worn. What am I looking for on my pitman arm? Looseness? On my TRE what kind of movement am I looking for? Also, should my tie rod and drag link be completely straight or are they supposed to be bent at all? I had my tires balanced and rotated recently so it is probably not bad alignment.

Thanks
Twrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #78
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

loosness, slop, play, at any of the joints is a sign of wear. They should move but not knock back and forth when you yank on them. Sometimes you can squeeze them with a pair of large Channel lock pliers to test them also, if there is movement the joint is junk.
Its hard to imagine untill you find your first bad one, then it becomes clear what you are looking for.
So, grab that wheel and yank it around!( Make sure the vehicle is supported SAFELY!) dont be shy, you are trying to simulate driving conditions on the suspension/steering components.
Also do this with a load on the axel. Keep the vehicles weight on the axel. Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground and support each end of the axel with a jack stand. then do your testing.
Good luck.
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #79
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So when squeezing the joints am I looking for movement up and down? Would the worm rubber "boots" signify a bad joint? I noticed last night that my drag link would rotate about 1-2 cm. Is that normal?

thanks for any and all help. i will upload some pictures of my setup when I am off of work.
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #80
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It will cost you $25 to have a pro look at it. For stuff that can kill you when it fails, it is money well spent if you don't really know what you are looking at. Watch him while he does it and then you'll know for next time.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #81
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

don't forget about hub assemblies which can wear out and cause massive DW too

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #82
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
It will cost you $25 to have a pro look at it. For stuff that can kill you when it fails, it is money well spent if you don't really know what you are looking at. Watch him while he does it and then you'll know for next time.
Unfortunately that price would never happen around where I live. It would be ATLEAST $100.
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #83
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a whole new bundle of problems..

Was turning the wheel with the jeep turned off (key in on position) and it started spewing powersteering fluid out of the reservoir when I would get to a full crank.

Also my tie rod end boots are bad, would this warrant tie rod end replacements? There is a little play in the TREs, they rotate as the wheels turn and move up and down around 1cm when compressed with channel locks.
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #84
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics I snapped with my cell. Anything look out of place here?

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #85
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You will have to get dirty to trouble shoot this problem. Get on your back crawl under there and start pushing pulling and wiggling everything . You are looking for anything that has ANY lateral/in/out/up/down slop. You may have to jack it up and use a lever to pry stuff to check for play.
It is time to stop messing around and get dirty.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #86
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone describe what death wobble feels like?

I get good vibations at 55mph (which is probably closer to 70 with my tires) which feel like a tire is out of balance. I used this as partial justification to upgrade to new 33s. The vibration is still there but only at that speed. It almost seems like I can drive through it too. (Maybe not.)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #87
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
You will have to get dirty to trouble shoot this problem. Get on your back crawl under there and start pushing pulling and wiggling everything . You are looking for anything that has ANY lateral/in/out/up/down slop. You may have to jack it up and use a lever to pry stuff to check for play.
It is time to stop messing around and get dirty.

Dwayne
not seeing any play with it on the ground. going to jack it up and see if anything moves. from my pictures, how do my TREs look?
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #88
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is no way to tell if they are bad from looking at them.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #89
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Can someone describe what death wobble feels like?

I get good vibations at 55mph (which is probably closer to 70 with my tires) which feel like a tire is out of balance. I used this as partial justification to upgrade to new 33s. The vibration is still there but only at that speed. It almost seems like I can drive through it too. (Maybe not.)
your not experiencing death wobble. What your describing is a vibration.
Death wobble is the violent shaking of the wheels/steering wheel etc making you feel as if your about to be thrown out of your seat or that your jeep is posessed by a violent earthquake.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #90
Vin91
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you need a front track bar??

Just put a 6 inch bds lift on an now my front track bar don't fit do i really need it?
Vin91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.