Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #871
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

removal of track bar

I'm installing a 2 inch Zone lift on my '94 YJ. The instructions say "loosen but do not remove the track bar bolts at the frame and axle." I can't figure out why I'm doing this. The track bar is not coming off according to the instructions. I know some of you have said you don't need it but it is going to be a pain to get to these bolts/nuts. What do I need to loosen the track bar bolts for?

goinbroke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #872
Jeepsr4me

just take it off with a hack saw or torch or anything.. You dont need it.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #873
khwrx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

X2 you will never know it's gone !
khwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #874
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwrx View Post
X2 you will never know it's gone !
The beauty is you will know its gone.

OP: you'll want to take it off in one piece if possible. Heat on the bolts is quite helpful. An impact with torx sockets is possible to finangle inside the angles to take them off with powah!!
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #875
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna wait till I take the springs off to see if it gives me better access to it. I tried earlier and it was really tight getting in there. I can see where an impact would be helpful but I don't have one. What's gonna happen if I leave it alone and why am I loosening it just to re tighten it when I'm finished?
goinbroke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #876
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The beauty is you will know its gone.
Does anyone care to elaborate on this.. I just ordered the FabTech 3.5" military wrap springs and I planned to NOT *Install the track or stabilizer bar. I figured these springs will probably be so stiff in the break in period I would not miss them.
VenomousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #877
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousMaximus View Post
Does anyone care to elaborate on this.. I just ordered the FabTech 3.5" military wrap springs and I planned to NOT *Install the track or stabilizer bar. I figured these springs will probably be so stiff in the break in period I would not miss them.
Start on page one of this thread. Grab some popcorn, a soda and some adult diapers.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #878
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah Sorry, I was being lazy and didn't do a Search and Car*Jacked his thread..lol Thanks
VenomousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #879
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's fine, everyone has questions but not everyone has answers. PM sent.
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #880
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke89 View Post
I think I'm gonna wait till I take the springs off to see if it gives me better access to it. I tried earlier and it was really tight getting in there. I can see where an impact would be helpful but I don't have one. What's gonna happen if I leave it alone and why am I loosening it just to re tighten it when I'm finished?
IIRC the easiest way to get at the track bars when I took mine off was, straight in from the front with the front wheels off on the front one. The back one was a bit more painful but do-able, sitting underneath the jeep on the drivers side with the rear jack up about 2 feet in the air.

It was the best thing I ever did, removing them. Be sure to us plenty of penetrating oil, I prefer Kroil or PB Blaster. With a 24" by 1/2 drive breaker bar.
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #881
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

rear sway bar, or rear dumb/stupid bar question

I have a 93 and want to remove the rear sway bar, but its not budging. I can get the bolt to loosen at all. We are wanting to ride in the morning and I am done trying. My question is....is the bar solid steel? If so do you think a dewalt cordless sawzall would cut thru it? Its all I have. I do have a 4" grinder but not really a cutting wheel on it more of a grinding disc.

George Orwell
lander2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #882
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't have to be removed to go wheeling.

PB Blaster will help

It is solid steel and can be cut off.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #883
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I know I can still ride with it but I already put in the quick disconnects on the front and have one side loose on the rear. Some of the trails we are hitting tomorrow are a little tougher than the Ines we are use to and I know it will help with my traction.

George Orwell
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #884
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Man..after doing all that crap to include busting my knuckle and cutting my thumb trying to get those stupid bolts out....it took 45 seconds to cut the damn thing off. Now time for bed there is mud and trails for the new year!

George Orwell
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #885
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

We have rear sway bars?

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.