Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #751
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

See this bracket behind the steering box? Yep, that's where it went stock.

Doesn't matter where you put an aftermarket one on the frame.

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #752
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

As stated, the track bar really is not needed but it's your choice if you want it or not.

Here are the locations.
jeep_yj_frame_dimensions.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #753
hahn406
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the detailed locations of the bar mounts. When the PO did the frame repair and soa he made some interesting decisions when it came to how modify things. You should have seen the cherokee rear sway bar he had half *** welded in under the front end.

This jeep won't see too much offroad once its back together completely. My next debate is whether or not to buy standard or hd springs stock height springs, cuz the ones on here are starting to bend the other way and I want to get it sitting nice and level before I fab anything.
hahn406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #754
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive stated this repeatedly that a track bar does not inherently cause a rough ride. It will bind with a good amount of flex but with the 2 to 4 inches of suspension movement experienced on the road a properly functioning unit will be fine. He is using a new one and will not cause ride issues like the old unmaintaned and frozen units everyone removes. If i thought a trackbar would wreck my ride i wouldnt be using one now.

To the op i have a spring plate with a trackbar bracket incorporated into it that raises the axle end a good amount. Ill send a pic and if you can use it its yours.
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #755
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The track bar needs to be the same length as your drag link. Otherwise, well you'll see.
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #756
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.
And once again Anticanman makes me laugh. That ones going in my sig.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #757
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
Ive stated this repeatedly that a track bar does not inherently cause a rough ride. It will bind with a good amount of flex but with the 2 to 4 inches of suspension movement experienced on the road a properly functioning unit will be fine. He is using a new one and will not cause ride issues like the old unmaintaned and frozen units everyone removes. If i thought a trackbar would wreck my ride i wouldnt be using one now.

To the op i have a spring plate with a trackbar bracket incorporated into it that raises the axle end a good amount. Ill send a pic and if you can use it its yours.
I feel I have to disagree here. Your right in that on-street binding of the trackbar really isn't much. However, it does inherently, by it's design, actually bind at just about all suspension movement besides at rest. Axle goes up, trackbar (located on an angle vs axle plane) transmits force to the frame and/or pushes the axle laterally off center. Same during axle droop, just the other direction. Hit a bump, force travels through the bar and to the frame resulting in a shock that can be felt.

The binding is even more prevalent in a leaf spring design in which the bar acts against the natural ability of the leaf springs themselves to keep the axle located.

But hey, run them if you want. If you feel they work for you then go for it. Im all for people making their Jeeps work they way they want them to. Im quite happy without mine.
djwrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #758
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had les schwaubs tell me I needed to put my trac bar back on cause it was contributing to my death wobble
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #759
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler
I had les schwaubs tell me I needed to put my trac bar back on cause it was contributing to my death wobble
I work at les Schwab and tell people to ditch them.......hahahaha
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #760
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
check ball joints, hubs, tie rods, tire wear, leaf spring bushings and everything else for death wobble. a trackbar can mask other loose suspension and steering components. taking it off doesn't cause death wobble but will magnify any other problems you are already having.
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #761
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
Did 400 miles in my jeep on Sunday. Some of that was rock crawling on level 5 stuff in the rain.

My jeep and its 35s rode 180 miles home with no death wobble and no track bars.

You might have 99 problems but no trackbar ain't one of them.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #762
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt
You might have 99 problems but no trackbar ain't one of them.
Lol I like the reference

Sent from my YJ

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #763
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwrangler View Post
I feel I have to disagree here. Your right in that on-street binding of the trackbar really isn't much. However, it does inherently, by it's design, actually bind at just about all suspension movement besides at rest.
Which is it? Im right and wrong?

Quote:
Axle goes up, trackbar (located on an angle vs axle plane) transmits force to the frame and/or pushes the axle laterally off center. Same during axle droop, just the other direction. Hit a bump, force travels through the bar and to the frame resulting in a shock that can be felt.

The binding is even more prevalent in a leaf spring design
So you are talking about trackbar bind on all types of suspensions? You were wrong earlier and now this is even more wrong.

Quote:
in which the bar acts against the natural ability of the leaf springs themselves to keep the axle located.

But hey, run them if you want. If you feel they work for you then go for it. Im all for people making their Jeeps work they way they want them to. Im quite happy without mine.
Your attempt to educate me is in vain as ive run leaf sprung jeeps without trackbars for decades. What you are forgetting is that there is plenty of play in the system to allow for this "bind" again within the 2-4" of needed travel on the street. i run them now like thousands do, because im on coils and they are absolutely a necessity. i can assure you they dont bind within the range of the 16" of coil travel.

In this post, before it was merged, the OP was seeking advice on using a trackbar and i will help him do so if he chooses. what i wont do is bash him for this choice. i dont use them on my leaf sprung jeeps but ill help him maximize his efforts with a trackbar on his.
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #764
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't bash anyone for wanting to run trackbars. It's your Jeep, so please do as you wish.

Coils vs. leaf springs. Totally different design. Coils don't locate the axle like leafs do. With leafs, they are mounted at 4 locations (per axle) to the frame and to the axle itself. Coils easily allow lateral movement for the trackbar to locate the axle during suspension movement. The bar will still push or pull the axle sideways during compression and rebound. Thats why you relocate the trackbar mounts or run an adjustable bar for lifts. Otherwise the axle will be shifted laterally to the side instead of being centered at rest.

Leaf springs, being mounted to the frame, will fight against the trackbar (also mounted to the frame) during any significant suspension compression or droop. Trackbar tries to push sideways, leaf springs try to keep the axle centered. That's your binding right there.

It's kinda hard to argue when so many remove the trackbars and report much better ride and suspension articulation. I'm talking leaf springs, not coils.
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #765
deliriousnomad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i removed the track bars first... then I installed a 2.5" OME lift and took the sway bar off... no problems at all... going to do the tie rod flip and use new rod ends... i can feel a little bit more roll but nothing that is scary... the flex i recieved and improved off road capabilities are astounding...

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.