Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #61
stm144
1994 YJ Wrangler 

maybe i was misinformed by a jeep friend of mine. and after reading alot of the posts that have been posted it does make sense that the trackbar is not the cause of my issues.

Let me better explain the issue in greater detail. When i am driving at highway speeds it feels like the wheels turn towards the right and then i have to overcompensate the steering to straighten myself out. It is a pretty scary situation when this happens at about 45+ mph.

I am trying to determine what is causing this then if it isnt the track bar. The leaf springs were new with the lift as well as the bushings. It has gotten maybe 3500 miles in the last year and a half and i can't imagine either of these "wearing" out.

I will check the tie rod ends but when I first started having this problem I checked them and they appeared to be ok.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe i can just pull the track bar off and see how it rides once i get the steering/veering off problem fixed.

stm144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #62
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the alignment is off on the caster or toe settings. check your steering damper also
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #63
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did your lift come with longer shackles?

Also, when checking your suspension/steering for wear, its easier if you have a helper slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the components. Sometimes the TRE's or bushings will look OK, but when you turn the wheel they shift/move in their mounts.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #64
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

How tall is the lift?

it kinda sounds like you are experiencing "bump steer".
can you snap a pic of you front end, specifically your drag link angle, and pitman arm area, and post it here.

bump steer is usually caused by an overly steep drag link angle (at least on YJ's anyway). If the drag link is angled to much, whenever you go over a bump, the up/down motion of the body/frame, in relation to the axles, will "steer" the front tires, without any driver input.

also, as already mentioned, if you have really long shackles, they can throw your caster angle off, which would cause the wheels to want to follow the road (wander), rather than track straight.
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #65
stm144
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i'll try to get a picture tonight. but if it is due to the fact that the track bar and drag link are out of parallel wouldn't i have noticed this right when i put the lift on. It is a 4" lift. Also if i just removed the track bar completely would this prevent the bump steer phenomenom from occuring?
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #66
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm144 View Post
but if it is due to the fact that the track bar and drag link are out of parallel wouldn't i have noticed this right when i put the lift on. It is a 4" lift. Also if i just removed the track bar completely would this prevent the bump steer phenomenom from occuring?
No, "Bump steer" occurs when the drag link and the tie rod are out of parallel.

Your track bar is just adding another variable to your steering geometry. Did you put an adjustable track bar in when you did the lift? If not it is adding to your problems, the stock length track bar is wrong on a lifted YJ.
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #67
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
If not it is adding to your problems, the stock length track bar is wrong on a lifted YJ.
Fixed it for you

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #68
stm144
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a picture but no way to post it

I took a ride today after I took the track bar off and it is still doing the same thing. I dint think it is the angle because the kit I put on came with a drop pitman arm and the pictures I have will show the angle isn't that bad. It's almost parallel.

I'm think it might be tie rod endsbut i dont want to spend the 150 to fix them if it isnot the problem. They don't appear to have alot of play when having someone else move the wheel for me. Is there any way of knowing that it is the tie rod ends without replacing. Also are there any other ideas on what could be causing this? My brother in aw said he counter turned each of the tie rod ends on either side to fix a problem he was having with clunking when turning but I don't think that's my issue. Also I noticed when I was driving it today that it does not always pull to the right sometimes to the left and it seems like when I shift is when I notice it. Not necessarily going over bumps.
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #69
Slacker1201
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this mod! I am amazed at how much more travel you have with the suspension. I didn't have to take off my tires. The whole process took me a total of 30 minutes to remove the front and back.
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #70
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

by removing the sway bars does that not wear out your tires are crazy like?

id like to try to this but its my DD :/ and its long drive on highway
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #71
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Um, no... tire wear has nothing to do with the track/sway bars

I've had my tracks/sway removed for over two years. Regularly make 600 mile round trippers in the dead of winter at freeway speeds and don't worry a bit about it.

As always you must keep in mind that this is a Jeep, not a sports car. Take it easy with her in the corners and she'll get you where you need to go without a peep.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #72
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble Questions and more! (pics)

Was looking for the cause of my death wobble and found that my front track bar is no longer connected at the lower end. Anyone know what size / type of bolt and nut combo works best and what to torque it to? Also, would the nut go on the front or the back?

Thanks
Twrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #73
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

DW is NOT caused by a missing track bar, a lot of us on this forum have removed theirs me included. DW is caused by worn components like spring bushings tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and the like.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #74
Twrecks
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
DW is NOT caused by a missing track bar, a lot of us on this forum have removed theirs me included. DW is caused by worn components like spring bushings tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and the like.

Dwayne
So a disconnected front track bar will not cause death wobble after hitting a bump?
Twrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #75
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, DW is caused by worn out parts. some thing has play and starts to oscillate back and forth, or up and down.
Jack up the front end, grab a wheel at top and bottom and see if it will wiggle,do it from front to back also. Check tie rods and ball joints for loosness and play. pitman arm is also a good place to look. could also be a worn out wheel bearing, but you will find it when you do the wiggle test.
Track bars just keep the axel centered under the vehicle, which the spring already does. They are overkill from the factory. removing them was my first mod, now I cant stop!
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.