Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #61
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^ your right same, check his profile, dana 30 and 35 locked, that will snap as soon as he thinks about hitting the locker switch, anyways, do a search, this topic has been covered quite a bit, and yes the rear trac bar is useless, but with that much lift i'd get a telescoping one if they make them, jks makes one for the front.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #62
bigforeman500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

tracbar

yeah that is the part missing, the riser bracket, for the jks mfg telescoping trackbar, but i had one made today, all bolted up and seems to be OK, waiting on sway bar disconnects from rubicon express, i only had one w/8" centers, needed 10" centers, then i will be ready for new axles
bigforeman500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #63
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea swap those axles out asap. You can probably get some $$ for the lockers, atleast the dana 30.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #64
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bigforeman, Did I see your YJ at Sebring this year?? It looks familiar.

Sorry to get off topic..
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #65
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Removed Tracbar now jeep sways

I removed my sway bar and tracbar yesterday and now when I am cruising down the highway and hit a bump or turn my Jeep will sway side to side so bad that I have to slam on the brakes and slow down to get it to stop. My Jeep is pretty close to stock the only thing changed on the front is the shackles they are 1.5 inch straight lift shackles. I am wondering if anyone else had this problem as I do not want to put the Tracbar back on but I can't keep driving it the way it is. Any suggestions welcome thanks in advance.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #66
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How are the spring bushings?If they're the stock rubber ones they're probably shot. How are the shocks? are they new or stock? Hows the frame? any rust through spots? Mine will bounce and sway alittle but straightens right out. At 65mph a good bump on the highway will make it bounce but it won't lose it's cool.
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #67
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The bushings are in great shape the shocks are not new but not stock and it's a California jeep we don't have rust here I can't get it over 45 for the fear of soiling my pants but when I am doing about 35 I can move the steering wheel back and forth just a little and it starts the swaying. I did it while looking at my tire and it does look like the axle is going straight and the body is moving side to side about 3/4 of an inch if that makes sense to anyone.
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #68
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You may be able to drive safely without the sway bar (I have seen a lot of rigs w/o sway bars or with them disco) but the trac bar serves an important function "keeping the front axle centered under the Jeep" and should not be removed for street or highway use. If operating at speeds above 30 MPH, you are asking for a disaster.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #69
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't run the front or rear trac bars on my YJ...but I do run the swaybar with disco's. My shackles are 5/8" lift booms. If you are getting 1 1/2" of lift from your shackles they may be what's causing your side to side sway. If they aren't beefy enough they may be flexing side to side. A good set of leaf springs and shackles = no trac bars required. Some opt to keep the swaybar for on road driving...I did, even though it didn't sway too terribly bad without.

Get bettter (shorter) shackles and some disco's for you swaybar...should help.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #70
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
I don't run the front or rear trac bars on my YJ...but I do run the swaybar with disco's. My shackles are 5/8" lift booms. If you are getting 1 1/2" of lift from your shackles they may be what's causing your side to side sway. If they aren't beefy enough they may be flexing side to side. A good set of leaf springs and shackles = no trac bars required. Some opt to keep the swaybar for on road driving...I did, even though it didn't sway too terribly bad without.

Get bettter (shorter) shackles and some disco's for you swaybar...should help.
I was thinking it might have something to do with the Shackles. They are only temporary anyways I am putting on a 4" lift in a few weeks and going back to stock shackles. I guess I will throw the tracbar back on for the time being and maybe try again with the different set up. As for the swaybar I don't think that is any issue with this, I have taken them off af just about every truck and jeep I have owned they only limit travel and stop body roll as far as I know.
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #71
95 Lowbuck

I agree, if you keep the rubber spring bushings,
put the TRAC Bar back on.
They are too weak and never designed to locate
the front axle by them selves.
Most aftermarket shackles are made to work with Poly Bushings
and I'm surprised they didn't come with them.
Also realize that with those lift shackles you have changed
the castor of your steering which also will make it wonder.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #72
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The track bar cost AMC money, so you can assume it's there for a reason (i.e. bad safety record for CJs).

Removing it will not improve your ride or significantly affect your flex, so I'm not sure why people want to take them off.

Sway bars are a different story. A disco is a good idea because they do interfere with flex, but at road speeds they add substantially to stability by controlling body roll, especially during emergency maneuvers.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #73
SleddinJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeeper View Post
You may be able to drive safely without the sway bar (I have seen a lot of rigs w/o sway bars or with them disco) but the trac bar serves an important function "keeping the front axle centered under the Jeep" and should not be removed for street or highway use. If operating at speeds above 30 MPH, you are asking for a disaster.
On a non triangulated linked suspension thats true. But leaf springs dont need them, they keep themselves centered. There have been many threads on this topic, many polls also, a high amount of YJers dont have trac bars and they still drive their YJs daily without any issues and I'm one of them. The reason they put them on is because of the CJs. But the CJs also had much skinnier leaves (half an inch skinnier??) which is what caused the issues, the YJs have wider leaves which gets rid of the issue. Jeep just wanted to make sure there would be no complaints of a sketchy ride so they threw everything they could onto the YJs. How many leaf sprung vehicles have trac bars? Pickups dont, Land Cruisers dont...so if theyre safe without them why would we need them?
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #74
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would look at other things under the Jeep causing the problems. Shackles might be doing it. I have not had sway or tracbars in almost two years. I drive at highway speeds(70-75mph) regularly on winding mountain roads. I was paying attention to my body roll an so forth yesterday and the body roll is hardly noticeable. I have hit some major bumps and there is not a swaying problems. Just this summer they were repaving the road in front of my street. Where the construction stopped there was a bump from the old to new pavement. I would hit it at 60 and the jeep would just bump up it and keep going with not problems. I had seen empty dump truck's tires leave the ground when hitting this bump.

It is my thought and it seems some other here share the same idea that sway and tracbars are almost a band aid covering up other problems. Of course these are really good band aids that can be left on and things will work fine. There is not much need for either tracbars or swaybars on a well built and adjusted Jeep. Maybe stock springs need tracbars and higher quality springs do not. I would be interested to see what the guys that think Jeeps are death traps with out bars are running compared to the guys that think they are unnecessary
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #75
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

tying putting it back to stock then remove one bar at a time and see what happens.

remove the rear and drive for a few das. then the front , then the sway bar.
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.