Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
LeJerk
2009 JK Wrangler 

I took my sway bar off the other day, and I would suggest just using a wrench before taking a grinder to the bolts. My bolts and nuts came loose with not too much drama. This way, if you don't like the ride, you can just put it back together without having to hunt down new hardware that you just destroyed.

LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #47
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get your bolts out without cutting them I definitely suggest that as a first option

By the way, who put this in general?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #48
stm144
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yj front track bar bolt size help

My 94 yj has a nice turn to the right every once in awhile. When I added my lift I had to replace the trackbar due to the bolt being pretty much plastic welded to the bushing. I replaced the whole trackbar but icouldnt get my hands on the right size bolt. Since then I forgot where I wrote down the correct bolt sizes for the front track bar. I am pretty sure that it was a 12mm fine thread. Can anyone confirm the size and give me the right length I would greatly appreciate it. I've been looking all over this site and the Internet and can't find a damn thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
stm144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #49
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You are gonna hear it so let me be first dicth the trackbars ft and rear both.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #50
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^x2
GottaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #51
stm144
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thats fine for trail riding however my jeep gets alot of use in the winter when the weather is questionable and id rather not have to jerk the wheel every so often to keep the thing straight.

In the case of ditching the track bars, if anyone ditches theirs can they measure the bolts for me first before they throw everything away.

Anybody have any sizes and not suggestions to ditch it?
stm144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #52
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

probably not. everyone ditches it because it works in a different plane then the leaf springs so they fight each other and cause a very rough ride.
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #53
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

stm144 - Depending on other projects and whether or not mine will come off easily, I'll probably be removing my track bars this weekend. If I like the ride better, I'll send you my bolts if you cover shipping.
Or you can go to a pick-a-part/pick'n'pull and get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #54
fwb35
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So even for 90% street use and stock height I should get rid of the track bars front and rear????
fwb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #55
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i use mine 100 percent street and i tossed them and mine is totally stock
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #56
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Track bars are worthless on a leaf sprung vehicle, period. What you should keep with a stock height suspension is the sway bar. This is becuase the springs are softer and worn out from years of use, you'll have more body roll than with new, stiffer lift springs.

If you're having driveability issues, there is something else wrong besides the track bar, because CJ's don't even have track bars, and 95% of us YJ's on here don't either.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #57
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Track bars aren't going to cause your vehicle to drift off. You have other problems. I'd start by checking your tie rod ends.

[FONT="Arial"]SkyJacker 4" lift, 32" BFG M/T's, Smittybilt Rocker guards, XRC Front bumper, XRC 8 Winch and bikini top, KC Fogs and Warn Driving lights, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boom Shackles, Rugged Ridge HD Steering, Rhino Lined, SkyJacker Hydro Shocks and Steering Stablizer, Bestop Seats, MCE Front Fenders [/FONT]
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #58
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

As others have said, the track bars are NOT needed.

I've said this before, The only way that you will notice any ill effects from remvoing the track bars, is if the rest of your suspension is worn out.
Leaf spring suspensions do not need a track bar, the leaf springs locate the axle, as well as support the weight. The problems arise when the spring and shackle bushings are worn(at which point, they should be replaced, regardless of weather you're running a track bar or not.). With worn bushings, the springs can then move side to side (pivot around the bushings), which will let the axle move side to side, and make the steering feel loose or unresponsive.

For example, I'm running a 3" suspension lift, and removed both track bars, as well as the sway bar, about 5 years ago, and aside from a better ride on the road, and better flex off road, there was no change in the way it drives.
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #59
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and what do you mean by this?

"My 94 yj has a nice turn to the right every once in awhile."

the trac bar won't do this
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #60
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

To answer the original question, I don't think the bolt threads into anything. As far as I know it's just a bolt and nut so any crade 8 the right size will work. Most likely a 1/2 or 7/16 x about 3"

and yes, ditch it anyway.
bluecan.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.