Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #31
grnsanddemon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I removed my swaybar and both my front and rear trac bars. It makes a world of difference in the ride, my high lift jack dosen't bounce around in the back any more.

A little tip I found helpful when removing the rear trac bar was to take off the bottom shock bolt( pass. side) to give yourself more room to get to the bolt on the trac bar.

grnsanddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #32
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsanddemon View Post

A little tip I found helpful when removing the rear trac bar was to take off the bottom shock bolt( pass. side) to give yourself more room to get to the bolt on the trac bar.
That most certainly would have helped. When welding my exhaust over the weekend the rear track bar was in the way so I decided to finally remove it. There's no way I could get to the mount bolt with an angle grinder or even a sawzall without removing the shock. A breaker bar and wrench would even be a tight fit.

I considered removing the shock mount, but knowing my Jeep and the condition of the shocks, I probably would have ended up breaking the stud off or maybe rounding over the nut.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #33
TrynPas
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsanddemon View Post
I removed my swaybar and both my front and rear trac bars. It makes a world of difference in the ride, my high lift jack dosen't bounce around in the back any more.

I recently bought my Jeep and had to completely redo the suspension on both front and back (you'll understand if you check out my thread 'SOA gone bad'). So I removed all of my springs today, the sway bar and the front track bar, but do not see anything in the rear. Does anyone have a picture of the rear track bar? Thanks in advance for your help.
TrynPas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This thread has finally convinced me to take off my track bars, I am leaving the sway bars on for now. I decided not to cut them off and am soaking them in pb at the moment. So far I got my front track off and am still working on the rear, 22 years of rust and grime locked those bolts on pretty tight and Its impossible to use a breaker bar on two of the bolts.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #35
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, I went out and took a look and looked at your pictures, and why did you cut out the sway bar? 6 bolts/nuts and some very very slight pulling, and it's out. No cutting required.

EDIT: The only problem I had was with the bolt towards the drivers seat on the drivers side. But I removed the track bar first and it eliminated the clearance issue.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #36
Thundergimp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I recently bought a 91 YJ and I am pretty new to the whole off road thing and building up a jeep. When I bought mine the sway bar was already removed. Now I just wanted to know what is the benefit for doing this. Also while I was driving it home the steering was very sloppy, could this be attributed to the sway bar being removed or that my Jeep just needs a little TLC? Thanks.
Thundergimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
JDePietro
2010 JK Wrangler 

I live in the land of tj so scold away but isn't removing the track bar dangerous as far as having your axles wiggle this way and that?
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
I live in the land of tj so scold away but isn't removing the track bar dangerous as far as having your axles wiggle this way and that?
Track bars are for "locating" the axles (keeping them in place). Leaf springs do a fine job of this. Coils need all the help they can get because they have no side-to-side stability.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #39
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
I can definitely understand removing track and sway bars if the vehicle is mostly driven off road. But, having driven both with and without the bars, my Jeep is definitely more stable with them installed. True, I live in a moutainous area with a lot of twisty roads. I feel the bars are essential for safety purposes on the highway.

Further, I think those that advise removal, without anything else being taken into consideration, are being irresponsible. Certainly, those folks can do anything they want to their own vehicle, but advising others to do the same is, to my view, STUPID.

I solved the problem with JKS disconnects and their telescoping front track bar. The rear track bar is still installed and will remain installed. There are no good options here.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #40
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI,
I can definitely understand removing track and sway bars if the vehicle is mostly driven off road. But, having driven both with and without the bars, my Jeep is definitely more stable with them installed. True, I live in a moutainous area with a lot of twisty roads. I feel the bars are essential for safety purposes on the highway.

Further, I think those that advise removal, without anything else being taken into consideration, are being irresponsible. Certainly, those folks can do anything they want to their own vehicle, but advising others to do the same is, to my view, STUPID.

I solved the problem with JKS disconnects and their telescoping front track bar. The rear track bar is still installed and will remain installed. There are no good options here.

Sparky
Cool story bro. You can feel entitled to whatever, but don't come in here calling everyone stupid. That hurts feelings, bro.

And yes, for some removal is not a good idea. Especially those with SOA, and that's what a lot of people take into consideration. And true, having the sway/track bar makes it a lot more stable. For me though, "Stable" meant hitting a slight ditch in the road and having to grip for dear life to make sure I didn't swerve somewhere. After removal of the front sway/track bar, it drives like a freakin' dream. I hit 4 inch holes and barely any swerve. The wheel does move more, but it straightens itself out more than anything. I don't have to hold onto it constantly anymore.

So sir, your methods of calling people out is STUPID but feel free to do so without being a jerkface.
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #41
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
So sir, your methods of calling people out is STUPID but feel free to do so without being a jerkface.
HI Fhajad,
You can believe that I don't give a damn about hurting peoples feelings. Getting their attention is all I care about. Safety is not a place to play politics. Many times advice (bad advice) is given without a concern for the circumstances. These people are indeed stupid. And they should be told so. Maybe they will reform and become responsible. I hope you are not one of those. But given your response, I fear you are.

Sparky
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #42
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HI Fhajad,
You can believe that I don't give a damn about hurting peoples feelings. Getting their attention is all I care about. Safety is not a place to play politics. Many times advice (bad advice) is given without a concern for the circumstances. These people are indeed stupid. And they should be told so. Maybe they will reform and become responsible. I hope you are not one of those. But given your response, I fear you are.

Sparky
Clearly you can't read if you think I say to remove them without disregard.
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #43
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HI,

Sparky
This thread is for information purposes and if you choose to remove your sway bars, it's your responsibility what happens to the rig and your health. If you think it's un safe, then make your own thread and see who gives a ****.

I don't care about your fancy disconnects or your telescoping track bars. If I wanted to discuss that I would make a thread about telescoping track bars and sway bar disconnects.

I put a lot of time into publishing this write up. Don't come into my thread and try and tell me that I'm stupid or that I do anything without consideration.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
This thread is for information purposes and if you choose to remove your sway bars, it's your responsibility what happens to the rig and your health. If you think it's un safe, then make your own thread and see who gives a ****.

I don't care about your fancy disconnects or your telescoping track bars. If I wanted to discuss that I would make a thread about telescoping track bars and sway bar disconnects.

I put a lot of time into publishing this write up. Don't come into my thread and try and tell me that I'm stupid or that I do anything without consideration.
THAT'S what I like to call, a Head Shot response!!
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

opp's, wrong thread.

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.