Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No rear sway bars on a YJ, just on the front. Trac bars at both ends. I don't run w/trac bars. I don't mind my sway bar disconnected around town, but it's a little dicey on the freeway.

Unread 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Punisher
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I personally ditched both when I did my lift. I only notice the front tracbar being gone, everything else just made the jeep smoother. If you have a set of decent springs and have your junk properly aligned (steering geometry counts bigtime here...) then you'll be fine.

If its too darty or rolls too much for your tastes, then put the swaybar back in with a set of disconnects. That should stiffen up the ride in the turns and give you a more positive feel. However, if you're pulling emergency manuvers (quick turns, heavy braking etc...) in a lifted jeep, a swaybar is not going to save you if you're at highway speed.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
iwishihad1

thats the way i see it..i have 5 inches of lift and 33s, and i havn't run any swaybars on my xj for a couple weeks. if i have to dodge something going that fast, i dont see it helping much. and its so nice to just get to where your going and be immediatly ready to go, and not have to mess with anything
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #19
jsahara24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

IMO,

Definitely take the track bars off,

if you are going to be driving on the highway or towing a trailer i would recommend getting sway bar disconnects. If you are going to be driving on back roads just take the sway bars off and never look back...
Unread 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your concered, they do make telescoping track bars. Couple nuts to release it while offroad and it will work like a giant piston. Once your back on the road, just retighten the nuts, secures it back in place like a standard track bar. That and a set of disconnects will leave you vehicle with all the benifits of the track bar and sway bar on road, and none of the disadvantages off road. Granted, the telescoping track bar runs around $200-$230. But, if your worried about it. I think

I'll eventually go that route because my jeep along with being my 4x4 also transports me to and from school across the pass a few times a month. 100+ mile drive one way. I'd rather not take chances I don't need to either in standard daily driving or emegency manuvering at 75mph on a Pass where you can slide over the 1000+ foot cliff/hill.

Might try hitting up SimonTuffGuy. He just got JSK discos and the telescoping bar today. Could see how he likes it http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-parts-new-parts-310613/

Heres the link to the stuff http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/p...dProduct=11074

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study

Last edited by Ares; 09-01-2006 at 01:01 PM..
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #21
iwishihad1

how much to expect from swaybars+tracbar removal

hey everybody

ive got a buddy with 2.5 inches of lift and 32s. the lift he bought was nice..full packs, included shocks etc. but i think a train could flex more then that thing. hes a pretty good driver, but with open diffs, and no flex, on the trails we enjoy that makes him either stuck or some interesting driving.

so hes coming over tomarrow for me to help him remove his front and rear track bar, and his front swaybar. how much can we expect out of this, and is it even worth while. ill say on my XJ...especially front it was more then worth the time. but i cant tell yet how stiff his packs are anyways

thanks
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #22
Andrew F
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Don't remove the track bar. It is pretty important. It keeps the axle centered and attached on the jeep. No track bar= axle ejecting itself out from under the Jeep.

Don't remove the front sway bar, just get or make some disconnects. I will edit later with links.

edit: After reading the post below, it would make sense that it is a YJ seeing that he got new packs. Don't know anything about YJs. Sorry. You can tell if it is a YJ by seeing if it has square headlights.
4.88, Lock Right F/R
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #347[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Andrew F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #23
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishihad1
hey everybody

ive got a buddy with 2.5 inches of lift and 32s. the lift he bought was nice..full packs, included shocks etc. but i think a train could flex more then that thing. hes a pretty good driver, but with open diffs, and no flex, on the trails we enjoy that makes him either stuck or some interesting driving.

so hes coming over tomarrow for me to help him remove his front and rear track bar, and his front swaybar. how much can we expect out of this, and is it even worth while. ill say on my XJ...especially front it was more then worth the time. but i cant tell yet how stiff his packs are anyways

thanks
I would assume you're talking about a YJ... as a TJ without a trackbar would be completely undriveable. If you confirm this I'll move the thread to the YJ section

On a YJ removing the trackbar should help quite a bit with flex. But if he drives it on the street it may not be the best idea. However, JKS makes a telescopic trackbar... so you can run normally on the street, then pull the pin and it will drive like there is no trackbar installed for off-road.

As for the swaybar, you can do without but I'd recommend leaving at least one installed for on-road driving, and use disconnects for off-road.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #24
iwishihad1

ahh...very sorry..lol. yea i tried to drive my xj down the road without a track bar and it was impossible..lol

yea this thread was intended for the YJ forum..sorry again
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

As long as he doesn't drive like a nut on the road he'll be fine with em all removed. It'll definitely help perform offroad. But if he doesn't like it he can always put em back on. I'd be willing to bet he'll leave em off though.
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM   #26
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
As long as he doesn't drive like a nut on the road he'll be fine with em all removed. It'll definitely help perform offroad. But if he doesn't like it he can always put em back on. I'd be willing to bet he'll leave em off though.
x2

you could ditch the track bars and do disco's in the front if this is a daily driver/weekend wheeler.

I grew tired of the disco routine and ditched the sway bar when I went SOA and I have not looked back since.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #27
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The factory POS tracbars and swaybar have been completely removed for ~8 years with zero drawbacks due to how my junk is set-up and how I drive it.

They seem to be completely at home in their rightful place of rest.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:03 AM   #28
bombadillo

^^^ I fully agree. I had the rear swaybar/trackbar removed when I first bought my jeep. I removed the swaybar about a month ago. And now I just removed the track bar about a week ago, and boy what a world of difference it makes in the flex and the ride quality. Its a little more loose now and I have to watch my speeds, but it wasn't like I didn't do that already. Its a jeep for the love of god!!! I figure anybody who is driving too fast around a corner in a jeep deserves to roll it in the first place. But, all joking aside, I have all my bars off and won't be installing them again anytime soon.
93 white wrangler, warn rock crawler bumper w/guard, custom rear bumper, warn lights, superlift 3.5" suspension lift, Lift shackles rear, (Soon to be front too) crappy shocks, 32x11.50 BFG MT's on eagle alloy 10 hole wheels, Swaybars and track bars removed. H4 conversion headlights, Hi-Lift ghetto mounted, Header from above ^^ and other goodies.
bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #29
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

As a side note, since you mentioned the stiff ride, make sure that his shackles are not over torqued.

They should be around 40-45 ft-lbs. on all 4 corners, if they are too tight this could be a contributing factor to a harsh ride.

As for the limited flex, the springs might need to break in a bit though too.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #30
White347LX

I bought my 88 Wrangler 100% stock about a year ago and the first thing I did was remove trackbars and the swaybar. There was no noticable difference on the street, but it did seem to keep the tires on the ground more when offroad.

Even with a 4" lift I can't see why anybody would mess with that stuff. But I hear the swaybar helps out quite a bit on SOA Jeeps.
White347LX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.