Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Well it's about damn time!

Somebody (Ringwood in this case) has taken some excellent pics & labeled them as well.

Good on ya son!

Max
For the longest time I wondered what the different steering linkage components were and all that other stuff was under there. Figured it would help someone

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

about time.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #18
Aalbury
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This write up will be helpful for me, I'm planning on this removal this weekend, and have been 90% sure I knew which bars I was removing, but I'm sure I won't screw it up to bad now.
KD8NKV
Aalbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #19
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was waiting for a write up, jeez maneez.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #20
mojeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mine took about 10 minutes no need to remove tires just remove 4 bolts
mojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Couchrider it was a good write up... Would this be an ideal thing to do to a DD/weekend warrior or should I get those pesky quick disconnects? (any recommendations on those?)

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #22
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
Thanks Couchrider it was a good write up... Would this be an ideal thing to do to a DD/weekend warrior or should I get those pesky quick disconnects? (any recommendations on those?)
My vote is to ditch them. I used quick disco's for a while and they are a huge PITA IMHO. Save the money and just ditch them.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i already moved the trac bar but havnt done the sway bar yet, afraid that the steering will get too sloppy, dd and drive on the freeway, anyone know if it changes the handling or adds a noticeable ammount of slop
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #24
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMonster View Post
yeah i already moved the trac bar but havnt done the sway bar yet, afraid that the steering will get too sloppy, dd and drive on the freeway, anyone know if it changes the handling or adds a noticeable ammount of slop
I DD mine and the steering was not affected. The sway bar is not connected to any of the steering components.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

added to FAQ

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
sandmanfl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread I just took my swaybar off with your instructions only took ten min. I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought about $50 worth of bushings and links and spent the DAY trying to take the pin out of the links.I came to check how to do it and ended up cutting it out in a few min.I will do the track bar tomorrow and will put the new stuff on classified.Thanks I also learned to research before spending money
sandmanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just took off my Trackbars on friday (I didn't have to cut anything either!) and I went wheeling on sunday. This is the best free mod i've done yet. Plus it seems to turn better on the road and the bumps that were harsh and teeth rattling before are tamed down quite a bit.

I left my swaybars on fyi. Like most of us I drive it more on the street so I just felt better leaving it that way.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #28
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMonster View Post
I actually noticed a considerable amount of slop that was added immediately after removing track and sway bars which I believe was caused by my poor steering linkage, drag link angle, and excessive play in the steering shaft universal joints. I replaced my steering with a Rugged Ridge HD steering kit which helped a good bit, but I'm sure after I install the dropped pitman arm and change the universals on my steering shaft it will be back to 100%.

After disconnecting my sway bars, while sitting still it seems as though the body will lift up and towards the directions I turn the wheel in.I attribute to the little bit of wobbliness in the steering caused by said body roll.

I suggest doing a thorough inspection of your steering linkage before you do this. If it needs replacing, address the problem and take the sways off while in the process.

I found the sway bar link bolts (on spring perch) came off pretty easily so you might be able to get away with simply removing those, tying the link up to the bar, and driving around the block to see how you like it.

Thanks Rusty and the rest of you guys for the kind words
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #29
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sway bar/linkage

nice write up with pics, nicely done!!

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #30
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
I haven't taken off the trac bars, but have quick disconnects and have driven quite a bit without the sway bar. I would personally not remove the sway bar permanently. The steering isn't an issue, but when you hit highway curves there is noticeably more body roll. I guess it kind of depends where you are driving. If you are in the midwest where everything is open and relatively straight, it's probably not that big of a deal. In Oregon however, I drive on a lot of highways through the mountains and the fast curves are where you notice the swaybar disconnected. It is definitely a pain to disconnect and if you are doing it weekly you may want to permanently remove. However, if it is just occasionally, get the disconnects.
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.