Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
catfisch

Did yall hook up the rear Tracbar after your lifts?

Just installed a 3'' RC Lift and caught hell getting the top bolt out of the rear track bar (so i just left it for the time being).. did yall bother hooking yours back up? -Cat

-95 YJ
-4.0L High Output
-PowerAid Spacer
-Herculined Tub
-Brand New- AX15
-3'' RoughCountry Sus. Lift
-1.5'' lift-Conferr Shackles
-1'' Body lift
-No rear trackbar
-33x12.50 SuperSport H/T's
-10'' OutlawII Rims
-CB etc

Last edited by catfisch; 03-09-2004 at 03:07 PM..
catfisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

No way, I removed my front and rear. Only difference i could tell was that it rode better!
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfisch
Just installed a 3'' RC Lift and caught hell getting the top bolt out of the rear track bar (so i just let it for the time being).. did yall bother hooking yours back up? -Cat
It took me a while but I eventually got it out and hooked it back up with the relocation bracket. I took my front one off but only because I couldn't figure out how to mount the relocation bracket.
bamakrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
catfisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwbates
No way, I removed my front and rear. Only difference i could tell was that it rode better!
I'm not really having any problems w/ it .. except my rear drums are a little out of adjustment so when i really have to get into the brakes the *** end wants to float all over the place.. feels like i'm pulling a really heavy trailer. So i think one drum is engaging harder them the over and it's making my rearend shift a little as the shackles and springs flex. Of course it snaps right back into aliginment soon as i stop. -Cat

-95 YJ
-4.0L High Output
-PowerAid Spacer
-Herculined Tub
-Brand New- AX15
-3'' RoughCountry Sus. Lift
-1.5'' lift-Conferr Shackles
-1'' Body lift
-No rear trackbar
-33x12.50 SuperSport H/T's
-10'' OutlawII Rims
-CB etc
catfisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
pdw

The instructions for the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift tell you to get rid of the rear trac bar, but to keep the front trac bar.
I guess that you can run without the front trac bar on the street, but is that such a good idea? Doesn't the front trac bar help to keep your steering consistant? Especially under braking conditions or emergency manuvers?
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfisch
Just installed a 3'' RC Lift and caught hell getting the top bolt out of the rear track bar (so i just left it for the time being).. did yall bother hooking yours back up? -Cat
Did you hook your front track bar up using the relocation bracket provided? From the instructions that were provided in my kit, it
looked as it (the bracket) should have been mounted on the passenger side and not the driver side where it is supposed to be on my 90 model.
bamakrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
iwishihad1

swaybar+tracbar gone = bad road manners

hey everybody

my buddies got a 92 yj with 1.5 inch suspension lift, 1 inch body and 32 inch BFG muds. he does great in the mud, but anything that requires any flex at all, hes not going anywhere. are there swaybars front and rear, and tracbars front and rear that can be removed to help his flex.

and if we do how bad will it be on the road

thanks
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
COSourdough

There are about a gazillion threads on this subject; general consensus seems to be: Get rid of the rear track bar, take off the front trackbar and sway bar and try it out, sensibly, see how you like it. If you're not happy with the body roll on the road, get diconnects for the swaybar. Personally, I got rid of swaybar and both trackbars and don't notice any negative effects on the road. Get a lot more flex and even a bit smoother ride on the road.
COSourdough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I removed my front and rear track bar with no ill effects that I can see. But I do not think it is safe to go without the sway bar, although some guys think it is OK. Get a set of disconnects for the sway bar. You will be glad you did if you ever get into an emergency maneuver at high spped.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
z71offroader

trac bars wont affect ur handling but ur sway bar in the front will, id suggest just like above....remove all trac bars and get some disconnects.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
bobbert350

track bar not a bad idea to remove..but the sway bar u will get a ton of body roll..u can try to take them both off its not too hard..i would take the track bar off then drive it a bit...then if happy but want to take the sway bar off take that off and see how u like it cauz u can alway put it back on
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

No problems for me towing a trailer. My Jeep is on 38" tires - no sway bars or trackbars on my Jeep for the last 4 years.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
bowenjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I took the trac-bars and sway bars off when i had my 28' tires and it was somthing to get used to but bearable.

I just put on some 31's and now you can say goodbye if you have to make any kind of emergancy manuver. Looking into disconnects myself.
bowenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #14
COSourdough

I've got 31s, and 3" lift; I don't notice any body roll, even when swerving at higher speeds. I guess it all depends on the springs. I'm not throwing the swaybar away yet, because I'm eventually gonna replace my Rough Country crap with better springs, and I might need to put the bar back on.
COSourdough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
iwishihad1

ok..thanks everybody

hes coming over sunday for removal of his front and rear tracbar, and swaybars. yjs have a swaybar in the rear also correct.

hopefully our wheelin trip monday, hell be much happier with his jeep. if it could flex he could definately go some places. hes a pretty decent driver, but with a suspension, where axles might as well be welded to the frame, and open differentials. anytime something off camber comes into play hes not moving

so thanks for the help
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bars , remove , steering , sway bar , trac bar , trac-bar , track , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.