JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/front-track-sway-bar-removal-pics-repetitive-redundant-questions-merged-here-well-953630/)

YJ Newby 12-26-2009 10:00 AM

Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

:confused:
Maybe I am just being a dolt, but after extensive searching of the forums, I am unable to find a "Track Bar Removal for the Chronically Dumb" write-up. I keep reading all of the threads, and read all of the benefits [ride, flex, etc.] but every time I crawl under the Jeep to try this mod, I do not really know where to begin. Is there a "How-to" write-up anywhere on this forum that will walk me through the need-to-know's about removing track bars/sway bars? I am desperate to do this, but still nervous about going into it not fully armed with the do's and don'ts.

'90 YJ with a 2-3" Body Lift, but stock suspension.

Thank you for your input.

Ptr 12-26-2009 10:21 AM

http://images.google.com/url?source=...Q9TkB5-7BFCAig

jeepdrvr101 12-26-2009 10:23 AM

Do you have a Chiltons manual? It has a decent explanation. However it says nothing about the sway bar.

jeepdrvr101 12-26-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptr (Post 8553484)

Thats the old style, you need the new SUPER-SUPERSAWZALL, it rotates 180 in the center, and is shorter, lol

YJ Newby 12-26-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

:laugh:

Thanks, I think!

RikRotorhead 12-26-2009 10:40 AM

Extreemly simple (on a west coast Jeep)
PB blaster the bolts at each end of the track bars.
Remove bolts, place track bars on Craigslist for $150 each.

Don't know what the track bar looks like you say?

It is a bar, about one and one half inch in diameter, running from one side of the axle housing, diagonally to the opposite side of the Jeep, attached to the frame.
Can't miss it.

Sway bar? A long u-shaped bar about one inch in diameter, held to the frame in front of the front of axle by u-shaped clamps, and connecting to vertical rods connected to the axle at each end.
Remove and place on Craigslist for $190 obo.

trucknut 12-26-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Lol I used an angle grinder on mine:rofl:

pasinbuy 12-26-2009 12:47 PM

I unbolted mine, if I remember correctly I had to use heat on the rear one.

ZeroGravity 12-26-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikRotorhead (Post 8553556)

Don't know what the track bar looks like you say?

It is a bar, about one and one half inch in diameter, running from one side of the axle housing, diagonally to the opposite side of the Jeep, attached to the frame.
Can't miss it.

Sway bar? A long u-shaped bar about one inch in diameter, held to the frame in front of the front of axle by u-shaped clamps, and connecting to vertical rods connected to the axle at each end.
Remove and place on Craigslist for $190 obo.

Someone actually bought your old track and sway bars?

cubfanbudman 12-26-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ Newby (Post 8553514)
:laugh:

Thanks, I think!

Quote:

Yep, that's how I "unbolted" mine.

Axl Jack 12-26-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikRotorhead

I cannot sell mine due to mine being cut in half. :D Sometimes East Coast Jeeps are a bit more stubborn.

Must be a East vs. West coast thing, word to yo mutha.

Mean Max 12-26-2009 04:30 PM

Well it's about damn time! :thumbsup:

Somebody (Ringwood in this case) has taken some excellent pics & labeled them as well. :2thumbsup:

Good on ya son! :)

Max :cheers2:

YJ Newby 12-27-2009 05:49 PM

HOLY CRAP! What a difference. I spent the afternoon underneath pulling the Track Bar and Sway Bar off. The ride is like a passenger car compared to the kidney-pounding I have been taking for the last 5 years. Why did I NOT do this a long time ago? Thank you all for your help and input. Best mod I have done so far. Will do the rear next weekend . . . .:cheers2:

themonkeyman 12-27-2009 07:34 PM

If you needed this much help with a track bar removal, make sure you consult us with any future projects :laugh:

dodger889 12-27-2009 07:48 PM

You want to watch yourself until you get the rear one off. I could throw you around on a large bumps.

The time now is 12:59 PM.