Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front track/sway bar removal pics(repetitive/redundant questions merged here as well)

284K views 1K replies 485 participants last post by  fishadventure 
#1 ·
No way, I removed my front and rear. Only difference i could tell was that it rode better!

#2 ·
catfisch said:
Just installed a 3'' RC Lift and caught hell getting the top bolt out of the rear track bar (so i just let it for the time being).. did yall bother hooking yours back up? -Cat
It took me a while but I eventually got it out and hooked it back up with the relocation bracket. I took my front one off but only because I couldn't figure out how to mount the relocation bracket.

#3 ·
tomwbates said:
No way, I removed my front and rear. Only difference i could tell was that it rode better!
I'm not really having any problems w/ it .. except my rear drums are a little out of adjustment so when i really have to get into the brakes the *** end wants to float all over the place.. feels like i'm pulling a really heavy trailer. So i think one drum is engaging harder them the over and it's making my rearend shift a little as the shackles and springs flex. Of course it snaps right back into aliginment soon as i stop. -Cat

#4 ·
The instructions for the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift tell you to get rid of the rear trac bar, but to keep the front trac bar.
I guess that you can run without the front trac bar on the street, but is that such a good idea? Doesn't the front trac bar help to keep your steering consistant? Especially under braking conditions or emergency manuvers?

#5 ·
catfisch said:
Just installed a 3'' RC Lift and caught hell getting the top bolt out of the rear track bar (so i just left it for the time being).. did yall bother hooking yours back up? -Cat
Did you hook your front track bar up using the relocation bracket provided? From the instructions that were provided in my kit, it
looked as it (the bracket) should have been mounted on the passenger side and not the driver side where it is supposed to be on my 90 model.

#6 ·
swaybar+tracbar gone = bad road manners

hey everybody

my buddies got a 92 yj with 1.5 inch suspension lift, 1 inch body and 32 inch BFG muds. he does great in the mud, but anything that requires any flex at all, hes not going anywhere. are there swaybars front and rear, and tracbars front and rear that can be removed to help his flex.

and if we do how bad will it be on the road

#7 ·
There are about a gazillion threads on this subject; general consensus seems to be: Get rid of the rear track bar, take off the front trackbar and sway bar and try it out, sensibly, see how you like it. If you're not happy with the body roll on the road, get diconnects for the swaybar. Personally, I got rid of swaybar and both trackbars and don't notice any negative effects on the road. Get a lot more flex and even a bit smoother ride on the road.

#8 ·
I removed my front and rear track bar with no ill effects that I can see. But I do not think it is safe to go without the sway bar, although some guys think it is OK. Get a set of disconnects for the sway bar. You will be glad you did if you ever get into an emergency maneuver at high spped.

#9 ·
trac bars wont affect ur handling but ur sway bar in the front will, id suggest just like above....remove all trac bars and get some disconnects.

#10 ·
track bar not a bad idea to remove..but the sway bar u will get a ton of body roll..u can try to take them both off its not too hard..i would take the track bar off then drive it a bit...then if happy but want to take the sway bar off take that off and see how u like it cauz u can alway put it back on

#12 ·
I took the trac-bars and sway bars off when i had my 28' tires and it was somthing to get used to but bearable.

I just put on some 31's and now you can say goodbye if you have to make any kind of emergancy manuver. Looking into disconnects myself.

#13 ·
I've got 31s, and 3" lift; I don't notice any body roll, even when swerving at higher speeds. I guess it all depends on the springs. I'm not throwing the swaybar away yet, because I'm eventually gonna replace my Rough Country crap with better springs, and I might need to put the bar back on.

#14 ·
ok..thanks everybody

hes coming over sunday for removal of his front and rear tracbar, and swaybars. yjs have a swaybar in the rear also correct.

hopefully our wheelin trip monday, hell be much happier with his jeep. if it could flex he could definately go some places. hes a pretty decent driver, but with a suspension, where axles might as well be welded to the frame, and open differentials. anytime something off camber comes into play hes not moving

so thanks for the help

#16 ·
I personally ditched both when I did my lift. I only notice the front tracbar being gone, everything else just made the jeep smoother. If you have a set of decent springs and have your junk properly aligned (steering geometry counts bigtime here...) then you'll be fine.

If its too darty or rolls too much for your tastes, then put the swaybar back in with a set of disconnects. That should stiffen up the ride in the turns and give you a more positive feel. However, if you're pulling emergency manuvers (quick turns, heavy braking etc...) in a lifted jeep, a swaybar is not going to save you if you're at highway speed.

#17 ·
thats the way i see it..i have 5 inches of lift and 33s, and i havn't run any swaybars on my xj for a couple weeks. if i have to dodge something going that fast, i dont see it helping much. and its so nice to just get to where your going and be immediatly ready to go, and not have to mess with anything:thumbsup:

#18 ·
IMO,

Definitely take the track bars off,

if you are going to be driving on the highway or towing a trailer i would recommend getting sway bar disconnects. If you are going to be driving on back roads just take the sway bars off and never look back...

#19 · (Edited)
If your concered, they do make telescoping track bars. Couple nuts to release it while offroad and it will work like a giant piston. Once your back on the road, just retighten the nuts, secures it back in place like a standard track bar. That and a set of disconnects will leave you vehicle with all the benifits of the track bar and sway bar on road, and none of the disadvantages off road. Granted, the telescoping track bar runs around $200-$230. But, if your worried about it. I think

I'll eventually go that route because my jeep along with being my 4x4 also transports me to and from school across the pass a few times a month. 100+ mile drive one way. I'd rather not take chances I don't need to either in standard daily driving or emegency manuvering at 75mph on a Pass where you can slide over the 1000+ foot cliff/hill. :(

Might try hitting up SimonTuffGuy. He just got JSK discos and the telescoping bar today. Could see how he likes it http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310613

Heres the link to the stuff http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=11074

#20 ·
how much to expect from swaybars+tracbar removal

hey everybody

ive got a buddy with 2.5 inches of lift and 32s. the lift he bought was nice..full packs, included shocks etc. but i think a train could flex more then that thing. hes a pretty good driver, but with open diffs, and no flex, on the trails we enjoy that makes him either stuck or some interesting driving.

so hes coming over tomarrow for me to help him remove his front and rear track bar, and his front swaybar. how much can we expect out of this, and is it even worth while. ill say on my XJ...especially front it was more then worth the time. but i cant tell yet how stiff his packs are anyways

#21 ·
Don't remove the track bar. It is pretty important. It keeps the axle centered and attached on the jeep. No track bar= axle ejecting itself out from under the Jeep.

Don't remove the front sway bar, just get or make some disconnects. I will edit later with links.

edit: After reading the post below, it would make sense that it is a YJ seeing that he got new packs. Don't know anything about YJs. Sorry. You can tell if it is a YJ by seeing if it has square headlights.

#22 ·
iwishihad1 said:
hey everybody

ive got a buddy with 2.5 inches of lift and 32s. the lift he bought was nice..full packs, included shocks etc. but i think a train could flex more then that thing. hes a pretty good driver, but with open diffs, and no flex, on the trails we enjoy that makes him either stuck or some interesting driving.

so hes coming over tomarrow for me to help him remove his front and rear track bar, and his front swaybar. how much can we expect out of this, and is it even worth while. ill say on my XJ...especially front it was more then worth the time. but i cant tell yet how stiff his packs are anyways

I would assume you're talking about a YJ... as a TJ without a trackbar would be completely undriveable. If you confirm this I'll move the thread to the YJ section

On a YJ removing the trackbar should help quite a bit with flex. But if he drives it on the street it may not be the best idea. However, JKS makes a telescopic trackbar... so you can run normally on the street, then pull the pin and it will drive like there is no trackbar installed for off-road.

As for the swaybar, you can do without but I'd recommend leaving at least one installed for on-road driving, and use disconnects for off-road.

#23 ·
ahh...very sorry..lol. yea i tried to drive my xj down the road without a track bar and it was impossible..lol

yea this thread was intended for the YJ forum..sorry again

#25 ·
drexelsteve said:
As long as he doesn't drive like a nut on the road he'll be fine with em all removed. It'll definitely help perform offroad. But if he doesn't like it he can always put em back on. I'd be willing to bet he'll leave em off though.
x2

you could ditch the track bars and do disco's in the front if this is a daily driver/weekend wheeler.

I grew tired of the disco routine and ditched the sway bar when I went SOA and I have not looked back since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.