Front track bar yes yet again even though its been beat to death tell me why to keep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track bar yes yet again even though its been beat to death tell me why to keep

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This thread belongs with the "my wife is a lying, stealing, drug addicted, child beater, cheating whore. Tell me why I should take her back" thread. Just ditch it and move on.

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
Goobersbro

Lol i know and i in theory i would love to ditch it but i still need a good reason as to how to explain to my father and the mechanic as to why the jeep doesnt need it. I under stand that the axle moves in three plains it can go foward backwards up down and side to side. The sway bar keeps it parallel to the frame the leafs keep it centered foward and back and the track bar keeps it centered left to right... correct. I have also heard that the leafs are strong enough to keep it centered left and right so i need someone to explain to me in a way that i can explain to my dad as to why the crap i dont need this thing. Besides limiting flex lol and you really think i would get rid of the sway bar guys i m having a hard enough time getting rid of the track bar lol howeveri have planned for awhile about getting discos lol
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the leaf springs are bolted to the axle - they are bolted to the frame, like poster above said, the spring cant move side to side, the shackle to frame mount absorbs the shock -

if it was good enough for CJs to run without them for YEARS

we can run without them (with wider, better springs mind you)

you should know how the government operates, that is the reason we dont have many GREAT foreign vehicles here today (skyline, 240sx SR20det, euro-diesels...etc...etc...etc...) - they caused the same problem with these trac-bars
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
Lol i know and i in theory i would love to ditch it but i still need a good reason as to how to explain to my father and the mechanic as to why the jeep doesnt need it.
Just tell them that you checked on JF, and the reason is
BECAUSE MEAN MAX SAID SO!!!

And if they have you ask again, they will be flogged severely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is your dad going to look under the Jeep????? If he knows what a trac bar is and sees it missing, well, burn down his house.....no wait, you still live there. You might just have to wait till your of age to make these decisions on your own. Mebee take him for a ride, with and without??? See what happens. Whatever you do, Don't make Granny buy you an 'adjustable trac bar'.
Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

exactly, do it when no one is watching ---------- and for god's sake IF you take it off --- hide the dern bar when your done (in a GOOD place to hide it!)

bad advice i know!
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
Goobersbro

lol yes he will be looking under there considering he is helping me install my ball joints and he already was under there looking at it so he knows it needs to be addressed come on guys give me a good way to explain it i think i have one figured out but help please
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
only_in_a_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol mean max i know i know this has been beaten into the ground im just super cautious on this front one. I do have to replace my ball joints, tie rods, steering Column and i need to buy a steering dampener since the one on the jeep is still the stock one and has zero oil left in it thanks to the PO!!. I did notice when i got under it and turned the wheels that the bracket they sold with the procomp lift to raise up the track bar moves quite a bit when i turn right or left is that normal??? the only reason i ask is why is my axle moving from side to side like a half an inch if the track bar is still implace Isnt the purpose of the track bar to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. And also say im on the high way and have to swerve fast will I experience over steer with it off. Like from the axle moving and then turning???
Are you saying your axle moves side to side, or the bracket moves? The bracket probably just needs tightened up, but if your axle is moving side to side, then you've got bigger problems.
only_in_a_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1. If the relocation bracket is loose, then it's not doing anything anyway... might as well just take the bar off.

2. Leaf springs don't need track bars. Besides, lift springs are stiffer and better able to keep the axle centered than the stock springs, so the track bar is now redundant (not in a good way).
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_in_a_yj View Post
Are you saying your axle moves side to side, or the bracket moves? The bracket probably just needs tightened up, but if your axle is moving side to side, then you've got bigger problems.
i mean the bracket sorry about that. Well i think i have him convinced he said we will fix everything else and then see if we still need it or not... he still is kinda iffy about it he is wondering if it will cause more stress on other parts if i take it off and we both know as of rite now it is causing more stress but thats because its not on there rite because of the lift
Unread 02-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #26
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the bolt for my track bar fell out in my drive way and i over looked where it came from. and like a month later i finally found where it came from. so pretty much mine came undone and i never even noticed the difference.
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #27
Ixiah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My front sway bar just stopped fitting recently on account of getting proper sized shackles for my 3.5" lift. I too was a bit questionable about removing it but so far Ive not noticed darn near difference, short of not having my axle cranked over an inch because of the track bar being too short (no relocation bracket). Ive even taken it for drives late at night when no one is on the freeway and given it a few good swerves, just to make sure Its not going to get me killed in a emergency situation. The steering was just as slow and jello like as per usual of a yj, but it still kept going the way I pointed it. If it makes your life easier just get the hardware to make it removable without a wrench. Otherwise Ive found for 90% freeway on-road driving just a sway bar is plenty.
1" lift Boomers
31in Baja Claws
I like me
Ixiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
only_in_a_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i mean the bracket sorry about that. Well i think i have him convinced he said we will fix everything else and then see if we still need it or not... he still is kinda iffy about it he is wondering if it will cause more stress on other parts if i take it off and we both know as of rite now it is causing more stress but thats because its not on there rite because of the lift
Thats good!

Mine came undone like brian's did, I was under there one dayand just noticed the bolt on the axle was gone. It had already rubbed a clean spot on the steering stabilizer,so it had been off for a while, I just couldn't tell.
only_in_a_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #29
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's a trade off.

Removing it will improve your flex and crawing, reduce your cornering stability on the highway

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that this stuff cost the company good money, and if their engineers did not feel it was significant, it wouldn't be there. period.

[and yes the CJ had a problem with rollovers -- largely due to people driving them like cars --]
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OP.. do this... Tell Dad you want them off, Have him take a drive in the Jeep with the trac bars off and on but make sure he doesn't know if they're on or not. You know ,like a blindfold taste test. See if he notices any difference and make him tell you which ride had the trac bars on. If he can't tell or likes the trac bar off ride, You Win! I get a much better ride without them. I will say that the swaybar should stay installed for the road though.
My son( burnerboy) just bought his 1st Jeep. His trac bars will be right next to mine in the garage. The swaybar stays (with disconnects).!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.