Front track bar yes yet again even though its been beat to death tell me why to keep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front track bar yes yet again even though its been beat to death tell me why to keep

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Goobersbro

Front track bar yes yet again even though its been beat to death tell me why to keep

Okay i know i have asked and i have done the search thing but i just want some extra reasurance. I took the rear track bar off and forgot about it but i have been told by some front end shops to keep the front track bar on. So i have looked around and found some adjustables. I really like the Jks adjustable track bar. So my question is why should i get rid of the front track bar. Why should i not. What other leaf sprung vehicles have track bars? and can you make a quick disco system for you track bar??? I just want to make sure before i spend 170 bucks on an adjustable track bar and i want some good reasons to explain to my dad and the guy at the front end shop as to why I dont need or I need a good reason to tell my Grandma why i want her to buy me an adjustable track bar

Unread 02-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It sounds like you need to just remove it and take it for a drive to decide yes or no.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remove it. As long as your bearings, tie rods and ball joints are good then it drives the same. If it feels extra loose then you may need to replace some other parts. Don't get the JKS I've read that it contacts the diff cover on some models.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
lonestar_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i dont know if anyone does these but you could get a hitch pin the same size as your bolt and make a quick disco.
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you wanted reassurance, why not use the search and wade through the trillions of threads on this subject....
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Ditch the track bar and get some quick disconnects for your front sway bar. The leaf springs will provide plenty of lateral support to keep the front axle centered and the sway bar will help to keep body roll in check, which is especially important if you have a higher center of gravity.

I ran fully disconnected when my YJ was on stock leaf springs and didn't have any issues at all, however once I put my RE 2.5" lift on there was a bit too much body roll for my liking so I re-installed the front sway bar

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same aprehensions. But after removing mine had zero ill effects. She drives just fine and quite a bit smoother over sharp edged bumps and freeway joints.
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The only way to know is remove it yourself and try it. Some people freak out and think the Jeep is going to kill them, others do not even know its gone.

continue on.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

not to beat a dead horse ^^^^, but I had serious reservations about removing them too, but just tried it and couldn't tell it was gone other than it rode better, now I'm running 33"s and 4.5" lift with no regret for the missing parts
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I took mine off, but the one thing I tell people if they want to remove it, is this: Keep an eye on your front shackle brackets that are welded to the frame. Look out for cracks. Without the trac bar, all of the lateral force of the axle is transmitted through your shackle brackets. Also, longer shackles magnify this force -- the force trying to peel off your shackle brackets.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to take it off, I'm just saying that when you remove parts from the Jeep, you need to think about where that force goes, that used to be taken by the trac bar.

Good luck
Pete
Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
USMC_JeepGuy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lose it! It was a bad answer to the "rollover scare" of the late eighties early nineties. Useless to a leaf sprung vehicle that's axle is already located in 3 dimensions.

BTW, I took mine off and the sway bar, drive 180 miles on the fwy and can't tell it's gone but for the better ride.

Last edited by USMC_JeepGuy; 02-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Afterthought
USMC_JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
The only way to know is remove it yourself and try it. Some people freak out and think the Jeep is going to kill them, others do not even know its gone.

continue on.

X 1,000,000

For God's sakes, just ditch the freakin' thing already......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

You sound a little agrivated "mean Max", looking to justify your name maybe just messin with man . . . . .
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Goobersbro

lol mean max i know i know this has been beaten into the ground im just super cautious on this front one. I do have to replace my ball joints, tie rods, steering Column and i need to buy a steering dampener since the one on the jeep is still the stock one and has zero oil left in it thanks to the PO!!. I did notice when i got under it and turned the wheels that the bracket they sold with the procomp lift to raise up the track bar moves quite a bit when i turn right or left is that normal??? the only reason i ask is why is my axle moving from side to side like a half an inch if the track bar is still implace. Isnt the purpose of the track bar to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. And also say im on the high way and have to swerve fast will I experience over steer with it off. Like from the axle moving and then turning???
Unread 02-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You dont need your track bars, CJ's never ran them and YJ's have wider beefier springs. I think the dealership had to put them on to meet stricter safety regulations. But most jeepers find that all they do is limit flex. If you do have a lift I would recomend keeping your sway bar and making some disco's.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.