front spring issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front spring issues

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

front spring issues

hey all, i got a 90 yj with SOA, 8.8, running 35's and my front springs keep turning them self into an S shape. Im on my 4th set of springs in 3 months, this time im useing hd springs, they have been on for about 2 weeks and im starting to feel it happen again. what could be causing this.
the first 3 sets of springs were stock and no idea of age or condition, the hd springs were only a year old when i got em and half that year was spent sitting on a shelf in a garage.

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of power are you running? How hard do you wheel? Is it shackle reversed?
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 4 banger, I wouldnt consider my wheeling to hard not stock friedly but i dont push it to its limits, and the shackles arnt reversed.
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did you do the soa or did a shop do it? that'd be the first thing i'd visit.
89yjislanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Yj350tbi
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Longer spring perch might help. And a traction bar. Maybe to long of shackles? Is this a bolt on spring over?
Yj350tbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

can you show a picture of your spring set up? maybe with the wheel off?
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible you're inverting the shackle? Like this......

If so, a set of boomerang shackles will likely stop that.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My shckles are good, my front srpings wrap every time I put it in 4 wheel drive
This didnt always happen, my cad went so I did the diy posi lock, then the springs. Put new springs on went out wheeling diy posi broke, I locked the collar so I could get out of the bush and my new used springs wrapped, picked up s8me hd springs and installed the posi loc from rugged ridge, put it in 4xr turned on pavment and they wrapped again.
Unread 09-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
My shckles are good, my front srpings wrap every time I put it in 4 wheel drive
This didnt always happen, my cad went so I did the diy posi lock, then the springs. Put new springs on went out wheeling diy posi broke, I locked the collar so I could get out of the bush and my new used springs wrapped, picked up s8me hd springs and installed the posi loc from rugged ridge, put it in 4xr turned on pavment and they wrapped again.
Do you by any chance have mismatched gear ratios? I mean, running in 4x4 on pavement is just plain asking for something to explode, usually a u-joint, but I have seen a t-case blown in half on a Cherokee from this. Axle wrap more implies gear ratios in my mind.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ill have to check that out, I know my 8.8 has 4 10 gears I just assumed thats whats in the front.
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Do you by any chance have mismatched gear ratios? I mean, running in 4x4 on pavement is just plain asking for something to explode, usually a u-joint, but I have seen a t-case blown in half on a Cherokee from this. Axle wrap more implies gear ratios in my mind.
Wouldn't that destroy his tcase?

Quote:
Ill have to check that out, I know my 8.8 has 4 10 gears I just assumed thats whats in the front.
Do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 4 cyl.
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your front axle should have the same gear ratio then. And I'm pretty sure you would have broken something if they were different ratios unless you happened to have the right tire size difference for the gear difference.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know if this helps but I went to disengage my 4 wheel drive and it wouldnt disengage, I popped the back off the cad and couldnt slide the colar over. I put it in natural aand went to push it and it wouldnt go anywhere. It felt like it was still in gear. I jacked up the front end and the driver tire had built up energy in or somthing because it really spun soon as the pressure was taken off it.
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I dont know if this helps but I went to disengage my 4 wheel drive and it wouldnt disengage, I popped the back off the cad and couldnt slide the colar over. I put it in natural aand went to push it and it wouldnt go anywhere. It felt like it was still in gear. I jacked up the front end and the driver tire had built up energy in or somthing because it really spun soon as the pressure was taken off it.
Yes, it does this when driving on pavement in 4x4 just before a u-joint or t-case explodes from the stress built up. When you turn, the front wheels travel farther than the back ones so one tire has to scuff the ground to compensate when the front and back driveshafts are locked into 4x4. That is why you are only supposed to use 4x4 on dirt or snow.

Sometimes driving in reverse and turning can unwind things so it will release, but sometimes you have to jack up a wheel.

If your gear ratios are off, this is way worse. Are you sure the 8.8 is 4.10? That makes for a slight mis match because the fronts are 4.11 if I remember right. Not enough to wrap things, but sure enough to make it worse on pavement .
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.