JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Front Speakers Q (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/front-speakers-q-1563388/)

TJEvans 08-17-2013 09:18 AM

Front Speakers Q

I've been considering replacing my front speakers, but I know that they are a pain to get to.

I was wondering, is it possible to cut out the front "screen" portion of the dash that they are hidden behind, replace them, and somehow reattach the portion that was cut out?

Rather than try to access them from behind, I want to get to them from the front. I theorized that I can pull out my dremel tool, cut the plastic, replace the speakers, then either glue, or screw, or a combination of both, the plastic back on...

Would this work?

chefboyardee86 08-17-2013 10:12 AM

you could do that but it will also be a pain to build some kind of bracket to hold the speaker. it took me half an hour to bring the windshield down and bring the dash down. i tink kicker is selling a template on quadratec to drill trough the speaker grill to take the speaker out.

SeanB95YJ 08-17-2013 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got tired of the accessability (and poor sound) of the 4x6s I could find... so I just left em there, disconnected them and installed a decent set of 6x9s in the door. I used weatherpac type connectors so if the mood strikes, I can still remove the doors... but in the 4+ years I've had it, I've never removed the lowers for driving.

don't have a detail shot, but here IS a pic that shows the speaker in the door.

Attachment 658285

mykeyb01 08-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ
I got tired of the accessability (and poor sound) of the 4x6s I could find... so I just left em there, disconnected them and installed a decent set of 6x9s in the door. I used weatherpac type connectors so if the mood strikes, I can still remove the doors... but in the 4+ years I've had it, I've never removed the lowers for driving.

don't have a detail shot, but here IS a pic that shows the speaker in the door.

Are those after market door panels? I like the idea but a, curious if they will fill on my stock panel?

metalhead 08-17-2013 12:24 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. If there was a way to cut that out and mount the speakers a better way so if something happens to them it is easier to replace them.

roadyrob 08-17-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJEvans (Post 15804311)
I've been considering replacing my front speakers, but I know that they are a pain to get to.

I was wondering, is it possible to cut out the front "screen" portion of the dash that they are hidden behind, replace them, and somehow reattach the portion that was cut out?

Rather than try to access them from behind, I want to get to them from the front. I theorized that I can pull out my dremel tool, cut the plastic, replace the speakers, then either glue, or screw, or a combination of both, the plastic back on...

Would this work?

first, its not plastic, its steel. guess it would be possible to use a speaker cover after you cut a hole but to me it would look like****.
its really not that bad pulling the dash, just be sure to use a good grade marine speaker like polk.

SeanB95YJ 08-17-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykeyb01 (Post 15804761)
Are those after market door panels? I like the idea but a, curious if they will fill on my stock panel?

as far as I know the panels are stock half door panels that came with the Jeep... mine's a 95, so they may differ slightly from your 88... never really paid attention to others.

just need to get a 6x9 template and play with the positioning on the panel. in addition to obviously cutting the panel, I did have to cut some of the sheetmetal from the door itself, but since it's just hollow in that spot (no lock mechanism and of course no window regulator) it wasn't a big deal to cut out a 6x9 oval in the inner skin.

The time now is 06:07 AM.