Front Shackle Reversal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Shackle Reversal

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Front Shackle Reversal

Has anyone done this, reversed the shackles ? Does it work well? Is it worth it ?

rollover755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Lostfedexman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IMO no, it is not worth it. When the springs compress with the shackles on the front, the front axle get's pushed slightly forward helping the tires grip the surface that your trying to climb.

If the shackles were reversed, when the springs compress the axle gets pushed slightly backward which is counter productive. That's my $0.02
Colorado Jeep Club Member #4267
Lostfedexman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No I am not running them but from what I have read the Jeep will ride much better with a reverse shackle set up.
Another plus is when wheeling in rocks you would have less tendency to bend a front spring. Since the front of the springs do not have the shackle when you come up to a large rock ,or really anything that your shackle would hit, you would not be pushing the spring back.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

SR's work great. I have had MORE's SR on my YJ for over 10 years and I have no complaints or issues. I wheel with guys that all types of set ups, and loss of traction due to spring movement is something I have never had any problems with.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you daily drive the Jeep or is it primarily used for wheeling? If it's an off road toy, the reversal would give you a better approach and most likely more effective droop, and a softer ride. On road, they can add to bump steer problems depending on how stiff your springs are.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i want one but haven;t gotten one yet but my buddy, (who is the owner of Trucker's World, oldest 4x4 shop in corpus christi texas) had one on his yj back when he had a jeep and he said it made a huge improvement on road.
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It gives a better ride on the road because it lets the axle move back a tiny bit as you hit a bump. Where as with the shackles in front the axle is push forward ever so slightly which amplifies the bumps in the road. Traction loss is negligable. It will not cause enough traction loss to really notice. However there is a reason Jeep put them in the front and that is because they felt it would give better traction. With that said just get a quality set of springs and you wont need it. My BDS springs ride very very nice. I have 3 ruptured disc's in my back and I still ride comfortable. I can put coffee in my cup holder and it even stays in the cup until I drink it.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

good stuff guys.... It is a driver(not daily) and I do take it mudding and in the trails... Right now it has some stiff a$$ 4" springs in it and it ride like a lumber wagon..I just started tearing it apart for the winter to rebuild again, I think will look into less of a lift spring, maybe stock or 2" lift and go SOA to keep my height...
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOA on stock springs gets you 5.5 inches of lift and you have a whole new set of issues to deal with. Get some quality springs. BDS, OME or RE. It will ride much better require less work and be $1500+ cheaper than a proper SOA.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I drive my jeep all the time street and trail. It is nice to be able to drive 85 down the freeway.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep

I have the Full Traction SRS with BDS springs (2" front 3.5" rear). I drive on road 99.9 % of the time. It take the harshness out of bumps, NO bumpsteer, tracks great. I like it...YMMV. It was well worth it to me. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight down the road....good luck...
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
I drive my jeep all the time street and trail. It is nice to be able to drive 85 down the freeway.
I got mine to a little over 100 mph the other day. I then promply **** myself and slowed back down. Jeeps and triple digits do not go together in my book.

What does driving 85 on the freeway have to do with SRS anyway?

Unread 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok, let me give a few more details.... currently I have 4" springs(SUA) w/ 2" extra shackles and i run on 35's with stock axles.... I'm now just starting a axle swap to D44 in front and 9" in rear. I was thinking since I'm going SOA I would go to a stock spring with stock shackle length, that should keep about my same height and give me a better ride, but since I'm going frame off I figured this would be a good time to do the spring reversal IF it is worth it.
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

SRS has a few up and downs I ran the MORE setup for about 7-8years.

Pros
-smooths out the ride on the street
-extends wheelbase 2-3"
-rides better on mild trails

Cons
-you'll need a big money long travel front shaft togo with it
-brake dive thats can be minimized by adjusting ypu shackle angle but is still way worse than stock setup
-on steep ledges creates front wheelhop
-shackle mounts will still break off if hit hard

All in all id skip it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.