Front shackle bracket - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front shackle bracket

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #31
superjet86

this is true... anyone have a used one to sell me ???

superjet86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #32
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
The small wire feed welders you see at home depot and Lowes, usually Lincoln. These weld with flux core wire(you don't need gas) and will work for what you want to do. Price is around $300-400 new. One step up would be one of the Hobart 125s or 140s. Anything less hire someone to do the work for you.
the Lincoln i bought at HD was said to NOT be an actual Lincoln by a local welding supply shop. Its the Weldpak 175HD (220V), they say no such model exists from Lincoln, idk how to really explain it. BUT the welder kicks a**. I make stuff all the time at home and even use it at work when the 110v just doesnt have enough user comfort for safety as far as holding. In my opinion of using a 110 mig and a 220 mig, the 220 seems to weld "cleaner"......maybe its just the "placebo effect"
dand3053 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #33
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjet86 View Post
this is true... anyone have a used one to sell me ???
the 110v Craftsman I have is around $150. then you gotta get argon (they usually rent the tank and you have to buy the gas-only seems expensive up front.)
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #34
superjet86

as for the drivers side mount... do you think i will need to drop the steering box to get to it to clean the frame and weld with a stick welder or mig welder?
superjet86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #35
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand3053 View Post
the Lincoln i bought at HD was said to NOT be an actual Lincoln by a local welding supply shop. Its the Weldpak 175HD (220V), they say no such model exists from Lincoln, idk how to really explain it. BUT the welder kicks a**. I make stuff all the time at home and even use it at work when the 110v just doesnt have enough user comfort for safety as far as holding. In my opinion of using a 110 mig and a 220 mig, the 220 seems to weld "cleaner"......maybe its just the "placebo effect"
220 welders weld much better and cost much more. The millermatic 250 I have at work is much easier to make a nice weld but cost thousands more than the small lincoln or hobart welders. For what they are those little welders are fairly easy to learn on and will hold for welding the thin steel used on these brackets. The best welder for cost would be something like the handler 187 which cost in the $700 range.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
220 welders weld much better and cost much more. The millermatic 250 I have at work is much easier to make a nice weld but cost thousands more than the small lincoln or hobart welders. For what they are those little welders are fairly easy to learn on and will hold for welding the thin steel used on these brackets. The best welder for cost would be something like the handler 187 which cost in the $700 range.
i'm not putting any of the other welder brands down, and yes the little ones are good to start with especially to learn on and for sheet metal (the reason im not ditching my 110). For my lincoln I pai about 600 without the gas.
Yes the little welders will penetrate the frame thickness, so a cheaper 110 is fine too.

OP-> the cleaner the metal is (no rust or pain or other crud) the better the weld-appearance, penetration, and less grinding. I've never had a spring mount break on my Jeep and im not out there right now to see whats involved in the procedure. If it looks like you need to move the steering box outta the way then do it. Do it right the first time and take your time! its a major part of the suspension you are reattaching and a major safety factor to you and others on the road if the weld gives out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.