Front shackle bracket - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front shackle bracket

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
superjet86

what do shops usually charge to grind off one shackle bracket and smooth over the other and reweld? any ideas?

superjet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can always get yourself a cheapy HF 4.5" grinder and a few cut-off wheels. Ya should be able to cut it off yourself and save a couple bucks. Always good to have some fun and get your hands dirty on your own rig, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjet86 View Post
what do shops usually charge to grind off one shackle bracket and smooth over the other and reweld? any ideas?
unless you can trailer it to the shop there going to charge an arm and a leg at a shop to do the prep work. call a mobile welder over or get in touch with a local club and they will help you for next to nothing if you were close id do it for you. there are guys that put up fencing that are more than capable to weld it up and i bet a lot cheaper than a strictly welding shop. if you have it all ready for the welder than it would only take him 5 min to do it.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #19
superjet86

Very true.... Can't do it my self because I have no way to get it to the shop then... I will check into mobile welders but I know my shop in town is very reasonable... It's owned by a father and son and I got a exhaust welded up a few years ago and they did it for next to nothing so I will get a quote from them first.
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
superjet86

im happy to say my local auto shop that i always get exhaust welded up at for my prev. cars will weld up those babys for 50 bucks. thats including removal of the other and prep... so not too bad!
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im happy to say my local auto shop that i always get exhaust welded up at for my prev. cars will weld up those babys for 50 bucks. thats including removal of the other and prep... so not too bad!
that is not to bad at all, and you dont have to do a thing.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

a lot of shops are at $90.00 hr here and set up fee
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
superjet86

yea im a fire fighter in my town and i have brought the guy quite a lot of business by referring friends and such so he likes to hook me up... our station is right down the street from him so he likes to be on our good side
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #24
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
The hangers you posted in your quadtech link are primarily for CJ's and such. You can make them work, but they will require some modification. If you want something more OME, then I would get these...
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...ct.aspx?id=998
they worked quite well for me.

not hard to do yourself... this was with my hobart 140, 110v.

WRM

Great info!

I've been looking to beef up mine with something but wasn't quite sure what to get. I think I'll run down to Currie and pick up a pair of those.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #25
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Ruff stuff has these too.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ger-p-182.html

They are a little cheaper but you have to weld the DOM to the bracket. They also come with the bushings.
X 2 on the RuffStuff. Solid beefy units. Used them when I ripped the HP44 off my YJ. Well worth the extra work. Dan has ads on Pirate all the time. You can get 10% or more by mentioning PBR.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #26
superjet86

is the steering box required to be removed to weld the drivers side mount?
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No. It sits forward of that.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
superjet86

i have never welded before. i get how to do it but know nothing about brands of welders... would the craftsman 300& mig welder work? i will probably never use the welder again unless something else breaks so i dont want to dump a ton of money into a welder.
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The small wire feed welders you see at home depot and Lowes, usually Lincoln. These weld with flux core wire(you don't need gas) and will work for what you want to do. Price is around $300-400 new. One step up would be one of the Hobart 125s or 140s. Anything less hire someone to do the work for you.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #30
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i have never welded before. i get how to do it but know nothing about brands of welders... would the craftsman 300& mig welder work? i will probably never use the welder again unless something else breaks so i dont want to dump a ton of money into a welder.
BEFORE you weld anything that has a purpose (such an example being a spring hanger), practice on scrap steel first. that way you can really get the feel of it, understand the heat needed for proper penetration of BOTH metals you are joining, speed to move the nozzle for proper puddling of the weld, and to save time in the long run from not having to grind off the slop/slag from crappy welds.

as for never using it again, welding can be like a Jeep-----addictive. you'll realize you can make more than half the stuff for cheaper and possibly better and it is manufactured. you can modify the ideas other companies have to make something more unique and stronger. plus you dont have to limit welding to just your Jeep.
dand3053 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.