Front shackle bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front shackle bracket

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
superjet86

Front shackle bracket

I just noticed my front drivers side shackle mount has broken off the frame... i have seen the replacements sold that are suppose to be better... but i dont know how to weld. how much do you think a shop would charge to put these on?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92000_103.htm

thanks

superjet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
superjet86

I dont think it would be too much but just wanted to check if thats the way i want to go.
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you grind everything down to clean metal, th where all they have to do is magnet the braket up there and lay a bead... I'd guestimate anywehere between $25 to $40.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
superjet86

what ones do i need to replace the stock? i see 2" and 2.5".... is that referred to lift? i just ant stock size... can you post links of that i need!

Thanks
Unread 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I could go out and measure mine and see... but you coulddo that as well I reckon.
And see my signature for the reason I don't post pics.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The hangers you posted in your quadtech link are primarily for CJ's and such. You can make them work, but they will require some modification. If you want something more OME, then I would get these...
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...ct.aspx?id=998
they worked quite well for me.

not hard to do yourself... this was with my hobart 140, 110v.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i believe your springs are 2 1/2 inches wide and thats what their refering to. the cj's are 2"
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
superjet86

technically those are the same are they not? the ones from quad are a bit cheaper....
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the cheaper ones might interfer with the bumper unless you can modify them
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^
Nope! The CJ style hangers sit flat against the frame. The YJ front bumper uses the torx bolt under the frame to hold it on. So, to use the CJ hanger, even if you get the 2.5 width, it will have to moved "back" or modified if you're still going to use the stock bumper. This will throw off your shackle angles, too. Maybe not a big deal to some, but this is why the YJ hangers are off-set forward and down. The hangers I posted are also stronger chromo's, hence the higher price.

WRM

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
superjet86

yea i will buy the ones you posted... so basically the flat ones would cover the torx bold holding the bumper on?
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ruff stuff has these too.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ger-p-182.html

They are a little cheaper but you have to weld the DOM to the bracket. They also come with the bushings.
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^
It would cover the torx bolt only if you removed it. It has to sit flat. You either have to move the CJ one back or remove the bolt to place it in its proper position. I like my stock bumper and I like chromo's. No brainer for me.

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
superjet86

I ordered the ones Rockworm has... just hope my shop in town does not charge me an arm and leg to remove the one still on the frame and weld these on... do you think they will charge more than 100$?
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, and I couldn't weld at the time either...

I had a buddy that could weld, but didn't have access to a welder on a weekend.

So, I got the best of both worlds. I bought a Hobart 125EZ welder, paid him a 6-pack to weld the bracket on, and taught myself how to weld. Couple of frame patches and a new front bumper later and I don't know what I did without a welder.

If you have welding buddies, drop a couple hundred on a good (read: not Harbor Frieght, et al.) welder and have them do the job for you. Best thing about it is, once you learn to weld, you'll have to find excuses NOT to get into the garage and burn through some scrap metal!
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.