Front Locker HELP??!??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Locker HELP??!???

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

Front Locker HELP??!???

I have been suspecting lately that my posi-lock is a little off and wasnt engaging the axles. So today i took off the rear drive shaft put it in 4 wheel and tried to drive it to no avail. So i took off the posi-lock and "temporary" locked it with the old vacuum motor and fork. I know 100% its engaged for sure. Tried to drive it once again and nothing. Before i get into the next part i have a Detroit trutrac up front. I jacked the car in the air and the ds tire spins. Put it back on the ground and it doesnt move. I got it to move about 3 feet in 5th gear. It felt like the front locker was slipping. I can see the drive shaft spinning. I know the ring and pinion are good as i checked that while doing my fluids and i know the yoke isnt slipping What do i do? Is it possible the trutrac is slipping? how do i test that?

MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think the TruTrack can wear out since it's not clutch-based. It _IS_ a limited slip carrier, so it's supposed to slip a bit unlike a true locker.

Why do you have a posi-lock if your vacuum motor works? How do you know for sure that the fork is engaged?

Try jacking up only the passenger side and try to spin the wheel while in 4WD. Does the front DS spin at all?
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

I permilocked the vacuum motor and put it in there to make sure its engaged . No the DS doesnt spin nor does the front drive shaft if i spin the ps side.. However when i spin the ds tire it does spin the drive shaft.
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

a trutrac will not work with a 2 piece axle that the yj's have. there is too much movement since it does not have the c-clip to limit the movement in and out. you will need to go to a one piece axle to make it work.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

in and out of the trutrac or are you saying its moving the locking gear on the 2 piece axle? Also is the Tj the only one piece you can use
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
a trutrac will not work with a 2 piece axle that the yj's have. there is too much movement since it does not have the c-clip to limit the movement in and out. you will need to go to a one piece axle to make it work.
where did you get this info?
fratis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

have you checked the splined ends of your shafts. i twisted off the splines on mine and never heard a thing.
fratis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

I took off the cover and checked out what was going on. In 5 th gear i got the jeep to move a couple of feet . The yoke and pinion is not stripped nor is the ring. I saw ring and carrier moving but wasnt turning the axles, which leads me to believe my axles are possibly stripped which i dont think they are as i checked them about a month ago, or the trutrac isnt compatible with the yj 2 piece set up, or the locker itself is messed up? Why would it move in 5 th gear but just spin in first? HEre is some pics of the locker can anyone Make a POSITIVE ID that it is a trutrac.

Last edited by MrPresident; 06-02-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

bump please

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.